In the world of super cheap plugins/software...

kitekrazy

Izotope offers just don't tempt me.  I had the Music Production Suite but their loyalty offers are confusing or they aren't in my world of loyalty.

Reason Studios - crank out REs but don't really improve the DAW to match others

Latest PA sale - meh is an understatment

It seems the good days are gone when companies get taken over or product line sold to a bigger company.

Magix is another one after taking over Vegas, Soundforge, and Acid.   They basically change the paint. I think they got rid of the original crew.

Steinberg I guess got better.  No more dongle and 3 authorizations.

Now that there will be a new Sonar there's is as much panic as there is joy.   The first fear is the sub model.  

10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Steinberg I guess got better.  No more dongle and 3 authorizations.

I'm keeping my eyes on this one too. I've had the opportunity to work with it way back in the days, and I've been keeping the essential version up to date for several years but I'm thinking of upgrading to Pro, as I do like to have a back up DAW, and it's either Cubase, Pro Tools, or Studio One.

And TBH, it really is between Cubase and Studio One. My Pro Tools license has lapsed and I don't really care to renew it.

Edited by Rain

15 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

meh is an understatment

That's pretty meta, KK. I'm adding that to my "best forum quotes" file.

I don't mean to dismiss your premise, which has some merit. Consolidation generally does not encourage innovation in any industry and is in fact more likely to shift focus to maximizing profit - after all, somebody's gotta pay for those acquisitions. But I do not despair because the barrier to entry into the music software business is still quite low. There will always be guys intensely flipping bits in their basements trying to make something cool enough to maybe provide a decent income for them.

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

That's pretty meta, KK. I'm adding that to my "best forum quotes" file.

I don't mean to dismiss your premise, which has some merit. Consolidation generally does not encourage innovation in any industry and is in fact more likely to shift focus to maximizing profit - after all, somebody's gotta pay for those acquisitions. But I do not despair because the barrier to entry into the music software business is still quite low. There will always be guys intensely flipping bits in their basements trying to make something cool enough to maybe provide a decent income for them.

Sometimes maintaining excellence suffers from trying to be innovative.  I imagine small developers do it as a hobby and not a livelihood.  I thought being a professional bass tournament fisherman would be great but then it turns into work.

11 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Sometimes maintaining excellence suffers from trying to be innovative.  I imagine small developers do it as a hobby and not a livelihood.  I thought being a professional bass tournament fisherman would be great but then it turns into work.

Plus you probably shouldn't get your bass wet, ya? 😁

20 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Izotope offers just don't tempt me

I got an email from them the other day so I checked out what the deal was. I didn't realize Ozone was up to 11 now. I'm still on 9 Advanced and it does more than I could ever want or need although it is a massive resource hog on my system. I probably couldn't even run 11. I think the key is to bounce or freeze all your tracks and only use O9A at that point.

That said, I can't say enough good about O9A. It helped me greatly in regard to mixing and mastering. I'm sure a professional or even a hobbyist who is far more capable than me could do what it does with various other VST's but for me it makes it all a lot simpler.

The graphical part of it that shows you where frequencies between different tracks were colliding is a huge help to me. I always struggled with isolating those problem areas.