Feature Request: Multiple Console Windows

Sal Sorice

Sorry if this has been discussed before - did a search but could not find anything, and, as far as I know, this currently can't be done.

I have (3) 4k monitors - 55" in Landscape, flanked by (2) 48" in Portrait. It would be wonderful if I could undock/float multiple Console Windows on one of the Portrait monitors. That would allow me to have, for example, 1 window with Tracks 1-12, then a window below it with Tracks 13-25, then one more window below that with the buses.

Example:

image.png.2b40367d953f63f2cce0ccedef4c5ae1.png

• Like 4

Probably just stating the obvious, but this would be helpful with any number of monitors.

I really think having the ability to open multiple instances of the Console Window (and other windows) would really be a game changer in this era of lots of users having 2-3-4+ monitors in different orientations. I opened up an example project and it had 60 tracks. How convenient it would be to use my Portrait Monitor to stack multiple Console Windows (like in my example)! You'd be able to see ALL the tracks - in wide view - AND see another Console Window with lots/all of the buses as well! No scrolling!

@msmcleod, @Morten Saether - can you offer any insight as to whether this feature would be helpful or easy/hard to implement?

Edited by Sal Sorice
added content
  • Like 1

Hopefully the new console view will be more flexible with the move to a vector based GUI - In theory you should be able to have it re-size iteslf tto best fit the screen / window.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, Sal Sorice said:

in this era of lots of users having 2-3-4+ monitors in different orientations.

I have 3 but I use them all in landscape. You have made me wonder if I should the two smaller ones on the outise it portait mode like you have them

Obviously it's a more natural fit for documents, I'm wondering if there is any benefit with things like Kontakt that I use a lot 

Thanks Glenn and Mark! I can't live without multiple monitors. I am in IT and have 5(!) in my office so I can see all kinds of stuff at the same time.

The Portrait windows are great for Kontakt, plugins, etc. You can see lots of stuff at the same time. To me, another advantage of being able to break out the Console Windows is that you could have one with a Tracks View, one with a Piano Roll View, one with Staff View, etc.  - endless possibilities!

I guess the Bakers are really busy. Have not heard anything from @msmcleod or @Morten Saether on whether this would be hard to implement or is even under consideration.

• Like 1

I wasn't clear (and was using incorrect terminology - sorry) about having multiple windows open (Tracks, PRV, Staff, etc.). I should have said "instances".

While Console, PRV, Staff, etc. can all be open/undocked/viewed at the same time, what I was trying to convey was that it would be great to be able to open multiple instances of any/all of those windows.

Examples would be 2 or more instances of the Console (1 with Tracks 1-12, another with Tracks 13-25, another with just buses, etc. - like in my original post).
Or maybe multiple instances of the Staff view (one with piano, one with bass, etc.) - so, if you have the screen real estate, you don't have to toggle between them.

Multiple Console windows would probably be most useful to me, but multiples of the others would probably be useful to others as well.

Sorry to all that I did not explain clearly/correctly - my fault - still learning...  :^)

2 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Examples would be 2 or more instances of the Console (1 with Tracks 1-12, another with Tracks 13-25, another with just buses, etc. - like in my original post)

In all my decades of working on large format consoles, we had to move the chair all the way from channel 1 on the end of the console to channel 72 on the other. Thankfully, someone invented rolling casters. Now I just use a trackball.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

ha! and here i was thinking my 42" landscape main and 24" portrait side was going to be too large for my desk!

My new 49" 240hz superwide!  Absolutely love this thing, but I would also love to have my channels on the top-right monitor and groups below that.  Multiple multidock windows would also improve the work area.

20231024_091724.thumb.jpg.d6c8c6a759a75d878549d750ea5003ce.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, OutrageProductions said:

In all my decades of working on large format consoles, we had to move the chair all the way from channel 1 on the end of the console to channel 72 on the other. Thankfully, someone invented rolling casters. Now I just use a trackball.

you mean a medium format console... the large ones have/had 112/144 channels 🙂 ~14' from end-to-end... lol actually get a 13ms delay when speaking to someone on the other end of the console...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

you mean a medium format console... the large ones have/had 112/144 channels 🙂 ~14' from end-to-end... lol actually get a 13ms delay when speaking to someone on the other end of the console...

Actually, back in the dark ages (where I cut my teeth), anything with 32 or more channel strips was considered 'large format'.

Nowadays, one can access 256+ channels in arms reach.

The largest console (in channel count) that I ever used was the Harrison MPC5 at Sony Studios in Culver City. Of course there were 3 engineers on it, so you didn't have to move far.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

I guess this is not considered a worthwhile feature :^(

I've tagged @msmcleod and @Morten Saether a few times on this and another similar thread (https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/67585-multiple-multidock-instances-request/) but haven't gotten a response ☹️. They must be really busy working on the new Sonar, so understandable. Just hope this feature eventually gets some attention and traction!

On 11/28/2023 at 4:50 PM, SloHand Solo said:

My new 49" 240hz superwide!  Absolutely love this thing, but I would also love to have my channels on the top-right monitor and groups below that.  Multiple multidock windows would also improve the work area.

Crikey ! That is really wide, don't think I could cope with the curve personally 😃 - Glad you like it though.

Are you using the 2 Octave keyboard to activate keyswitches ?  I have one sat around that used to be my main keyboard back in teh day but I migrated to 61 keys

As I've gradually gotten into Kontakt I was thinking if I could use it for that purpose

• 2 months later...