finishing a song about life on the road: "Jezebel"

bats brew

https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/track/jezebel

you might have heard the demo of this one,
i've been trying to wrap it up,
this is real close, i think.

i wrote this one, using the drum track from the rolling stones' "tumblin' dice" as a template.
if you stripped off all the music and played along with the drums,
you could nail tumblin' dice! LOL
it was just an experiment.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 4:43 PM, Terry Carroll said:

This is good in every way. It's all there for a 80s glam song. 

Terry

Thanks for the review, Terry!

I don't know much about 80s glam, I always considered glam to be early 70's, ala T Rex and slade, bowie, mott the Hoople, that kind of stuff. 

I did play a lot of 80's music in traveling cover bands, it wasn't very glamorous! Heh

Thanks again

Great fun track. You can hear the enjoyment in the music. Love the guitars. Only crit would be that you bring in the lyric 'Jezebel' too early. I kind of feel that should be in the pay-off line, not the second line. Apart from that. Great.

I know you may not take this as a compliment, but your vocal tone reminds me a little of Daniel Johnston (who is one of my favourite artists). 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:10 AM, 53mph said:

Great fun track. You can hear the enjoyment in the music. Love the guitars. Only crit would be that you bring in the lyric 'Jezebel' too early. I kind of feel that should be in the pay-off line, not the second line. Apart from that. Great.

I know you may not take this as a compliment, but your vocal tone reminds me a little of Daniel Johnston (who is one of my favourite artists). 

hey 53! thanks for listening, glad you dig those guitars. it was fun tracking them.

i thought about leaving that first jezebel out, like you suggest...

funny you mentioned it.

now, much later, i still think it works as the 'hook', it's like petty used to say, dont bore us, get to the chorus.

LOL, maybe i could exchange the lyric right there with something similar, but different.

i'll mull that one.

daniel johnston, had never heard of him before you mentioned it here, thanks for the headsup, i will investigate.

• Like 1

Dang haven’t hat a Batfix in way to long and as always 1000 miles above everything else I’ve listened to in months. Your whole mix is just so huge on headphones. All the details you put in are not missed by me. Stereo image heaven. I think it’s definitely finished. 
On my 3rd listen. Of note is the way you move the delay around. The ring in the snare is awesome and drum compression brilliantly done panning of fills and of course a wha wha 

Edited by John Vere

On 11/12/2023 at 7:43 PM, John Vere said:

Dang haven’t hat a Batfix in way to long and as always 1000 miles above everything else I’ve listened to in months. Your whole mix is just so huge on headphones. All the details you put in are not missed by me. Stereo image heaven. I think it’s definitely finished. 
On my 3rd listen. Of note is the way you move the delay around. The ring in the snare is awesome and drum compression brilliantly done panning of fills and of course a wha wha 

thanks a lot, john!

glad you liked it!

drums are very dialed in, and i just tried to balance the eq with the panning in a way that spread everything evenly, and offered the most clarity.

every mix is kind of like an experiment, eh?

😁

• Like 1

This takes me back to some of that great rock in the mid 70s. Great mix. Everything is sitting perfectly. I'm able to hear every instrument, and nothing is trampling on anything else. Great guitar work, as is always the case with you. Vocals are great too. Love the bounce to this song. Great job!

16 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

This takes me back to some of that great rock in the mid 70s. Great mix. Everything is sitting perfectly. I'm able to hear every instrument, and nothing is trampling on anything else. Great guitar work, as is always the case with you. Vocals are great too. Love the bounce to this song. Great job!

wow leadfoot, thanks!

this mix was fairly easy, compared to some of my other stuff...

and i guess the 'bounce' you mention, is me trying to play ahead of the backbeat drum track,

which i programmed backbeat, knowing i was going to push the beat with the guitars.

i like playing with meter that way. and yea, it does bounce! heh

• Like 2