Cherry Audio Stardust 201 Tape Echo hiss

13 minutes ago, southcoaststeve said:

Is anyone else having issues with unwanted hiss when using this plugin.

And if so, have you found any efficient ways of removing it?

Not 100% sure, but I seem to recall the tape hiss in this or other tape emulations was part of the design precisely because it was an emulation. I haven't explored this one in a long while, but it is capable of some really wild effects.  From the discussion I believe the issue of whether or not the hiss was "unwanted" depended on how much realism someone wanted.  I don't recall Cherry Audio added dxb or other noise reduction features to it.

Edited by User 905133

Ha!

I’m old enough to remember the days of fighting noise everywhere. Minimal issue in digital, but we find reasons to bring the noise back!

I gotta laugh!

BTW, I have this plugin too and rarely use it because of the noise, but honestly? I rarely used the hardware back in the day for the same reason! 🕰

I just gave the Cherry Audio Space Delay a quick (15 min.) test since I haven't used it in a while.  Due to tinnitus, I don't hear much external hiss. (I hear hiss all the time.)  So I used SPAN, and didn't see excessive emulated tape hiss visually.  

Some of the presets allow the build up of wide width-noise; so, playing around with the various modes and built-in FX, and then going really crazy with the levels and settings, I was able to build up layers not unlike I used to do with reel-to-reels, but with much more intentional control.

I heard this above the level of my tinnitus and SPAN showed me what I was hearing visually.

When I backed down on the massive amounts of tape and other built-in FX, the sound was much less noisy to my ears and as displayed using SPAN. 

Not doubting there is noise in the tape hiss range or that the emulation might have a wider appeal if it had a noise off (or maybe a dbx/noise reduction) mode.

I've seen other 201-inspired emulations, though I don't have any.  Maybe one of those might work better for you.

On the other end there are some other echo plug-ins that justifiably are called lo-fi (or something similar). Some developers put their money into making animations that simulate a tape loop going around the heads at the expense of audio efficiency.

I haven't listened to McDSP's EC-300 in a while, but I seem to remember that had a lot of options (3 different kinds of device emulations) including some that had nice clean echoes.  

https://mcdsp.com/plugin-index/ec300-echo-collection/ .

Ever since the days of reel-to-reel tape echo and long hallways, stairwells, etc. I have been a fan of echoes.  Sometimes I want tape noise build up; sometimes I want sound bouncing off surfaces in all sorts of directions. And sometimes I want pristine, unadulterated echoes that just seem to bounce with immaculate precision.  Sometimes the Tape Echo in IK's Mix Box (as basic as it is) fits perfectly for what I want.  Of course, then there are MeldaProduction's Echo/Delay Plugins--one day I will understand them so well, I will be able to built my own "perfect" delay/echo device.  😉

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I just gave the Cherry Audio Space Delay a quick (15 min.) test since I haven't used it in a while.  Due to tinnitus, I don't hear much external hiss. (I hear hiss all the time.)  So I used SPAN, and didn't see excessive emulated tape hiss visually.  

Some of the presets allow the build up of wide width-noise; so, playing around with the various modes and built-in FX, and then going really crazy with the levels and settings, I was able to build up layers not unlike I used to do with reel-to-reels, but with much more intentional control.

I heard this above the level of my tinnitus and SPAN showed me what I was hearing visually.

When I backed down on the massive amounts of tape and other built-in FX, the sound was much less noisy to my ears and as displayed using SPAN. 

Not doubting there is noise in the tape hiss range or that the emulation might have a wider appeal if it had a noise off (or maybe a dbx/noise reduction) mode.

I've seen other 201-inspired emulations, though I don't have any.  Maybe one of those might work better for you.

On the other end there are some other echo plug-ins that justifiably are called lo-fi (or something similar). Some developers put their money into making animations that simulate a tape loop going around the heads at the expense of audio efficiency.

I haven't listened to McDSP's EC-300 in a while, but I seem to remember that had a lot of options (3 different kinds of device emulations) including some that had nice clean echoes.  

https://mcdsp.com/plugin-index/ec300-echo-collection/ .

Ever since the days of reel-to-reel tape echo and long hallways, stairwells, etc. I have been a fan of echoes.  Sometimes I want tape noise build up; sometimes I want sound bouncing off surfaces in all sorts of directions. And sometimes I want pristine, unadulterated echoes that just seem to bounce with immaculate precision.  Sometimes the Tape Echo in IK's Mix Box (as basic as it is) fits perfectly for what I want.  Of course, then there are MeldaProduction's Echo/Delay Plugins--one day I will understand them so well, I will be able to built my own "perfect" delay/echo device.  😉

I always liked them too.... they were fun as were echoplex which I also had lots of fun with...

But they are/were noisy and emulations tend to leave it in for authenticity... But many offer the option to simply switch it off creating a more modern "quality".

These days with how much lower our noise floor is, I fid it hard to justify at times...

...as a matter of fact, I just tangled with this issue today on a piece I'm working on where I'm using two EMT 140 simulations and I keep noticing the noise... as low as it is. In this case I'm living with it as it's so subtle, but often that noise floor is too hard to handle these days (for me)

Oh, and I do like the 201 emulation. I'm not dissing it. I'd feel the same if I was sonfronted with using the actual hardware... 😉

Edited by Keni