Print Track Settings

UCG Musician

My USB Audio interface died and I just got a new one.  After hooking everything up, I tested my DAW on several sequences and discovered that the settings (banks, patches , etc.) do not correspond to those on the connected hardware (Korg Kronos 88).   I suspect the problem is that the Korg's libraries are loaded into different banks than those that were in place in the original sequences.  In trying to reconstruct which libraries are in which banks, I have been unable to determine if there is a way to print all the Cakewalk track settings.  This would make it a lot easier to capture the information needed to pursue the Korg library situation.  Unfortunately, over the years I used various libraries including the factory settings and a number of  purchased libraries that must be loaded into the banks I choose.  So finding the correct instrument definition file to import into Cakewalk is a huge challenge at the moment.

Normally I just use screen capture for things like recording settings that are visible (but not reportable in any other easy way), even though that can be tedious, I know.

That being said, if I understand what seems to be the initial problem outlined in your post, my first instinct is to point out that, unless something else was changed with the new audio interface setup, all the necessary instrument definitions are still in place in Cakewalk. What happens when you change the MIDI interface connection(s) entirely, in these older versions of Cakewalk, is that in my experience, the MIDI instrument to port mapping randomly changes, or goes away entirely. I have dealt with that also recently. This also exhibits if you move a project file to any other system with a different I/O setup in fact. I have done that a few times as well!

As I mentioned above, I often save screen captures of some setup screens (though I know some things are also available in preference files as well under the hood), and the main MIDI instrument mapping for my hardware ports was one I had snipped, and so I was able to resume my original mapping from there, when I lost it. After that, my older projects went back to working with the proper bank & patch assignments. This is possible because unless you save over the original project with different assignments, or delete/change any Instrument Definition setups in your Master .ins, the old references will still work once the original port mapping is re-established.

-That answer may or may not help you, but hopefully it gives you a place to start. As a note, I believe I also had to make sure the MIDI ports were loading in the same order as ones on the old device did - for me that was tricky. I think the OS assigns the MIDI port loading number, and Cakewalk then assigns an order based on that. For me, if it was different, often the instrument mapping was broken or just off if that also wasn't recreated, which as I say, can be tricky.

-So, depending on how you organized your Instrument Definitions originally, before the interface change, it may be as simple as re-establishing the Instrument-to-Port (number) mapping you originally used. Provided of course you haven't already overwritten the original projects in question with newer mapping.

For instance, if you already had all your various Korg Kronos 88 Instrument definition material under one logical group - in the Instrument list, and you get the new interface MIDI port(s) to the same loading number, you may be able to simply re-map the Korg Kronos 88 instrument to the same port (number) it was on originally, and all the older projects should just recall the bank & patch mappings they had.  -I know that worked for me several times now, to not only with the default Instrument Definitions, but the custom ones I created as well.  -Which reminds me: Backing up the Master,ins file once in a while is very recommended if you create custom definitions!  -Anyway, I hope some of this helps.

JnJuneTech,

Thanks for your response.  The problem is not with the audio interface or Cakewalk.  The banks in the MIDI hardware are not populated as they were when I created the sequence.  I purchased several libraries and installed them at various times on the Kronos 88 and in the process used several different instrument definition files.  Cakewalk is working off one of the ins files, while the hardware's banks are loaded with another set of patches.  I probably need to get assistance on the KORG forum, unless someone on this forum has familiarity with the intricacies of the Korg Kronos 88.  It's a very complicated machine and I do not fully understand it.

UCG Musician

8 hours ago, UCG Musician said:

Cakewalk is working off one of the ins files

I understand - as I say, I have also done this type of interface swap. -I guess since you say that the synth banks are also changed, you may indeed wind up needing to set up new Banks & Note maps in your Cakewalk Instrument Definition master. -If you have made your own banks, you can create new maps in Cakewalk by reading off your synth and creating those new banks in Cakewalk, under Preferences - MIDI - Instruments - Define... There are some other good posts here, as well the documentation, that show how that works, it's actually fairly easy.  -As far as downloading default Korg .ins files, yes, perhaps there are other sources for that.  -In any case, thanks for the reply, and best of luck!