Importing Drum loops from Yurt Rock/Poor Audio replay

Misty Geetarario

Question

Hi, I am new to cakewalk and am having 2 issues that perhaps someone can advise on in a very simple (I am an idiot) non jargon way please. Before I say what they are, perhaps it helps to note that I am not using an audio interface (although I am using a pair of nice Beyer dynamics into  Blaster X G5 which doesn't seem to come up as a useable option in devices?) and perhaps merely getting the Audio Interface will resolve at least one of the following issues:

1. Firstly, importing files. I used the Preferences>VST Settings>Add>Scan route and no new files are registered, but the file is listed in the VST Scan Path box. The file is full of Bonham type Wav Audio Files (VLC) from Yurt Rock, maybe its the file type that stops them from being shown in the Plugins right hand window? Oddly, the files work when I drag and drop them in though but this brings me onto the next issue;
  2. When I play the file in Cakewalk, they sound awful and compressed/distorted and yet when I play them direct from the file outside of Cakewalk - they sound fantastic. I wonder if this is because I am using a headphone setup rather than AI and the Driver Mode being set to WASAPI Exclusive? I did try it on WASAPI Shared too and it made no difference. 

Thank you in advance, I am sorry if this has been asked a million other times and in slightly different ways. I am hoping it is an AI issue and I am due to buy one anyway when I get paid from work. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Misty Geetarario

3 answers to this question

OK, you're confusing a couple of things first of all which is one of the things tripping you up.

First of all, scanning for VSTs will scan for, well, VSTs. Those are like small applications that extend the functionality of Cakewalk, usually .DLL or .VST3 files. Actual audio files aren't VSTs and won't be scanned as such, although some VSTs (like samplers, etc.) can load those files into their program.

So as you found out, dragging them into Cakewalk (or using File > Import Audio) is how you get audio in.

Next. if you don't have a proper soundcard with ASIO drivers, usually one of the flavours of WASAPI is the way to go.

WASAPI Shared is the "safest" of these 2 flavours where it can co-exist with other applications on your system a little better but this is at the expense of audio latency and performance. If you're not playing live synths or streaming audio through effects live, then this isn't a big deal.

WASAPI Exclusive will give you the best performance, but other applications may hijack the driver and lock Cakewalk out, so you have to have a fairly well set up system.

Neither one of these will work well if your system isn't set up well for audio, or if the Buffer slider is set too low in Cakewalk's audio preferences. If something else is interfering with your audio stream somewhere, you'll get distortion, clicks, pops, etc.  The reason most other audio apps play things on your system OK is because it uses the most simple version of the Windows audio drivers which aren't really acceptable for DAW use.

It's hard to recommend what to do if you keep this set up because it could be all kinds of things that's causing the issue.

The best recommendation is definitely to grab yourself a good audio interface with ASIO drivers, such as the Focusrite Scarlet Solo or 2i2. They cost less than a boring night out in the city and basically will sidestep all of those problems once you install their ASIO drivers.

But just going back to the compressed/distorted thing for a second, that doesn't sound like it's an audio interface thing by the way you're describing it. It sounds more like a gain structure thing where stuff is set up too loud.

Are you able to share a screenshot of your main window with all of the tracks open so we can see the volume controls and gain controls of the tracks you've imported?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

OK, you're confusing a couple of things first of all which is one of the things tripping you up.

First of all, scanning for VSTs will scan for, well, VSTs. Those are like small applications that extend the functionality of Cakewalk, usually .DLL or .VST3 files. Actual audio files aren't VSTs and won't be scanned as such, although some VSTs (like samplers, etc.) can load those files into their program.

So as you found out, dragging them into Cakewalk (or using File > Import Audio) is how you get audio in.

Next. if you don't have a proper soundcard with ASIO drivers, usually one of the flavours of WASAPI is the way to go.

WASAPI Shared is the "safest" of these 2 flavours where it can co-exist with other applications on your system a little better but this is at the expense of audio latency and performance. If you're not playing live synths or streaming audio through effects live, then this isn't a big deal.

WASAPI Exclusive will give you the best performance, but other applications may hijack the driver and lock Cakewalk out, so you have to have a fairly well set up system.

Neither one of these will work well if your system isn't set up well for audio, or if the Buffer slider is set too low in Cakewalk's audio preferences. If something else is interfering with your audio stream somewhere, you'll get distortion, clicks, pops, etc.  The reason most other audio apps play things on your system OK is because it uses the most simple version of the Windows audio drivers which aren't really acceptable for DAW use.

It's hard to recommend what to do if you keep this set up because it could be all kinds of things that's causing the issue.

The best recommendation is definitely to grab yourself a good audio interface with ASIO drivers, such as the Focusrite Scarlet Solo or 2i2. They cost less than a boring night out in the city and basically will sidestep all of those problems once you install their ASIO drivers.

But just going back to the compressed/distorted thing for a second, that doesn't sound like it's an audio interface thing by the way you're describing it. It sounds more like a gain structure thing where stuff is set up too loud.

Are you able to share a screenshot of your main window with all of the tracks open so we can see the volume controls and gain controls of the tracks you've imported?

Thanks so much for you long answer.  I think I will get the Audio Interface and see what happens. I don't have any tracks to share - just a drum loop so probably best for me to just get that AI and see if that fixes it. :D

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

This might still be an issue if it's gain related, even with a proper interface (although that will save you a LOT of headaches just by having one). I'd recommend giving this series a good look over to get up to speed super fast:

Particularly part 25 for mixing audio, but there's a lot of useful info with how audio interfaces work, etc.