Jump to content
Starship Krupa

Default track icons

Recommended Posts

Something I noticed when checking out all these beautiful themes, I currently have at least 10 of them installed on my system and none of them change the color of the default track icons in the Console View.

I thought that this was odd, given all the hours of hard work the themeweavers put in to come up with these dazzling color combinations. Maybe they (you) don't use track icons.

Anyway, I got bored looking at the same grey ones sitting in the midst of all the great-looking colors, so I fired up a copy of GIMP and got to work, using @Matthew White's M-Lux Blue as a starting point.

They might be a bit rough in spots compared to what a more experienced pixel jockey could do, but I like how it came out as a proof of concept. If anyone is interested in incorporating these in their themes I can make them available, even do some more work on the pixels.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PxsVq0R1El9WS5uDcUnWIz-EO8li6f7n

(BTW, I am not a stupid person, but this forum has been up for some time now and I have so far been entirely unable to get an image to display from  the file sharing sites that I use, which are Google Drive and MEGA. I detest the forum's native "click magnifier to shrink image" thing and would love to find some other way, but no go so far)

Edited by Starship Krupa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

(BTW, I am not a stupid person, but this forum has been up for some time now and I have so far been entirely unable to get an image to display from  the file sharing sites that I use, which are Google Drive and MEGA. I detest the forum's native "click magnifier to shrink image" thing and would love to find some other way, but no go so far)

i use this one,once the image is upload,scroll a bit then find [embed-codes] just below this choose [BBCode]

copy & paste the BBCode here

go here

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Something I noticed when checking out all these beautiful themes, I currently have at least 10 of them installed on my system and none of them change the color of the default track icons in the Console View.

I thought that this was odd, given all the hours of hard work the themeweavers put in to come up with these dazzling color combinations. Maybe they (you) don't use track icons.

Anyway, I got bored looking at the same grey ones sitting in the midst of all the great-looking colors, so I fired up a copy of GIMP and got to work, using @Matthew White's M-Lux Blue as a starting point.

They might be a bit rough in spots compared to what a more experienced pixel jockey could do, but I like how it came out as a proof of concept. If anyone is interested in incorporating these in their themes I can make them available, even do some more work on the pixels.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PxsVq0R1El9WS5uDcUnWIz-EO8li6f7n

Hi Erik,

I really like what you did and the idea of it.

I typically use custom icons once I get going on a song/project, but having the default icons somehow relate to the theme would be nice.

Maybe the rest of the themeweavers out there could give it a spin??? 🙏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course some of the themes have customized track icons. For instance, the ones that come with Gran Vista Black & Blue have a certain amount of non-intrusive plastic glare (what else?). Here are the stock versions (upper) and the modified versions (lower).

Fok2QjV.png

But admittedly no dazzling color combinations. Rather kind of like restrained.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Something I noticed when checking out all these beautiful themes, I currently have at least 10 of them installed on my system and none of them change the color of the default track icons in the Console View.

 

1 hour ago, arlen2133 said:

I typically use custom icons once I get going on a song/project, but having the default icons somehow relate to the theme would be nice.

Maybe the rest of the themeweavers out there could give it a spin???

Did you miss the 4 themes of mine that have modified default icons? No colors but modified to match the theme, Quite possible you missed them as these icons are known to be a bit sticky and sometimes won't change to the theme images until you do all sorts like close and open cakewalk or swap themes a few times. Good idea to add color though. 😎

img%5D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Matthew White said:

 

Did you miss the 4 themes of mine that have modified default icons? No colors but modified to match the theme, Quite possible you missed them as these icons are known to be a bit sticky and sometimes won't change to the theme images until you do all sorts like close and open cakewalk or swap themes a few times. Good idea to add color though. 😎

img%5D

I have noticed that on your latest one, they looked a bit "shinier". 😁

My reference was more to including them to the color scheme...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matthew White said:

Did you miss the 4 themes of mine that have modified default icons? No colors but modified to match the theme,

I must have, the theme I started with was M-Lux Blue, my favorite dark theme, and the icons came up looking like the Mercury icons.

What I was having fun with was the color though, making the icons match M-Lux Blue.

I know that a lot of people change the track icons to something else once they have everything set up, they have a template with the picture of their drum kit or favorite synth or guitar, but even in that case there's still that time period right after you add a new track or bus when the default icon is there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the changes can be subtle. In "Polar Blue" , Steve inverted the colors of the default track icons (to make them Black on White background), but in my evolution of the theme (Polar Blue 2019) I reverted some of them, reverting "sound source" tracks as white-on-black, but retaining black-on-white for "routing" tracks (i.e aux tracks, folders, and busses).

I also fixed a pet peeve of mine and exchanged the "Synth" and "Instrument" track icons (because instrument tracks have both MIDI and audio so the icon should reflect that instead of the converse... but that's just me)

So, yeah, at first blush it looks like nothing has changed but there are some subtle changes there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...