Now this lady has a lot of nice toys!

craigb

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I'd say this performance is the equivalent of using a Bugatti Divo to do the school run.

I was going to get one of those cars, but I couldn't decide on the final color scheme, so I bought two...

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I'd say this performance is the equivalent of using a Bugatti Divo to do the school run.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could get that out of a laptop running just CbB with a copy of NI Komplete Standard and  a 49-key MIDI controller. ;^)

Just don't ask me to troubleshoot "No sound" from that setup 😦

More than 'shades' of Vangelis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Baay said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could get that out of a laptop running just CbB with a copy of NI Komplete Standard and  a 49-key MIDI controller. ;^)

Why are you assuming I want to replicate the music from a Moog ad? My music is shit, yes, but I have standards.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, David Baay said:

I'm pretty sure you could get that out of a laptop running just CbB with a copy of NI Komplete Standard and  a 49-key MIDI controller

Sigh. I fully understand that attitude about the analog modular synth nerd thing. I was first exposed to the culture and got to know some of the people involved back when I was getting my stompbox company underway. Mid 00's.

I thought that all the toys were cool, of course, and a logical reaction to the path in big company synth design that had started 20 years earlier with the DX7. But the music that came out of them was....well, Ms. Bella Donna (and if you watch it and think she's just a Vangelis knockoff, she switches into a higher gear about 6 minutes in) is miles ahead.

They'd hook them up and it was basically, well, a sine, square, saw, or triangle wave with a filter. I understood the impulse to have lots of cool knobs and wires and all that, granular control of what modules you wanted to mix and match. We were a few years into the boutique stompbox phenomenon (my company was kind of second wave on it), and going the other direction from things like rack mount all-in-one guitar processors.

But unlike the difference I could hear with the stompboxes, there was nothing (to my ears, anyway) that this stuff could pull off that you couldn't get in a larger all-in-one synth. Even a budget synth of yesteryear like a Roland SH-101. Still, it is true that especially with synths, different gear will lead you in different creative directions.

There was more than a whiff of model train layouts. Getting all excited because you found just the right locomotive to go with your passenger car, freight car, caboose, etc. Which I have no problem with (I do it myself with plug-ins), but if it's going to ostensibly be music gear, how about making some....music with it? At least Lisa Bella Donna here actually put together a finished piece (which, unfortunately doesn't start to sound interesting until you've sat through 6 minutes of the sound of '74).

It raises the question: is the music inherently interesting, or is it only interesting because it's all boutique modules and vintage keyboards? If she were sitting behind a scratched up Dell Latitude with stickers all over the lid, making similar music, would we bother?

36 minutes ago, craigb said:

Still my favorite "famous" interaction though!  Getting to hang out with Bob Moog for a night, out in Hollywood.  Sorry Eddie, but Bob's got ya beat! 😉

Nice. I met Bob Moog, briefly, at the first US Festival. That was the one where Steve Wozniak wanted it to be a music and technology festival, and they lined up some music technology companies. Bob Moog was one representative, it was during a period when he had lost control of the Moog name. I think he was representing Fairlight. About 2 dozen people showed up to watch his talk. To me he was a towering figure in the industry. I just walked up and shook his hand. He was very nice, so I don't doubt that he was fun to hang with in Hollywood.

38 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

It raises the question: is the music inherently interesting, or is it only interesting because it's all boutique modules and vintage keyboards?

None of the synths in the video are vintage.

Her full setup in that consists of:

1 One. (large one on her left)
1 Subsequent 25. (on top of the One)
1 Subsequent 37. (beside the Subsequent 25)
2 DFAM. (to the left and right of the Modular.)
1 Subharmonicon. (under the left DFAM)
1 Mother-32. (under the right DFAM)
2 Grandmother. (the two on the right)
1 Matriarch. (on top of both Grandmothers)
1 Modular. (in the background)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

None of the synths in the video are vintage.

My mistake. I guess the manufacturers these days are doing such a good job of emulating the early '80's look that they fooled me! I am impressed. I've had my nose in a computer for so long I'm only peripherally aware of trends in that part of the industry.

Okay, well, vintage style hardware vs. 2018 Macbook Pro with a dent in the corner. 😄

1 minute ago, Starship Krupa said:

My mistake. I guess the manufacturers these days are doing such a good job of emulating the early '80's look that they fooled me!

They have to otherwise their target audience is not gonna buy them. The cheapest product in that whole thing  are the DFAM + Mother 32 or Subharmonicon combos. And you're paying 1400 bucks for each. You can buy a Studiologic Sledge 2.0 for less than that.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Is the music inherently interesting, or is it only interesting because it's all boutique modules and vintage keyboards? If she were sitting behind a scratched up Dell Latitude with stickers all over the lid, making similar music, would we bother?

Is guitar-based music inherently interesting , or is it only interesting because of the ethos of the hoo-ha gear?  😉

Edited by User 905133
Added an emoi so no one would think my comment was intended as a mean-spirited BS competition thing.

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Is guitar-based music inherently interesting , or is it only interesting because of the ethos of the hoo-ha gear?  😉

Some would say neither!😄

But I didn't say "inherently," I specifically asked would we  bother (watching and commenting). "We" being my perception of the people in this forum being particularly interested in the "how" of making music.

The norm for synth music for a long time has been what David said: laptop/DAW/virtual instruments. Seeing someone play it in real time on a rig with at least 9 different physical instruments is a novelty, it's a throwback to Vangelis or Tomita.

The music itself in this video....hmm, if I wanted to listen to something like this I'd probably listen to....Vangelis or Tomita. She has other videos with more interesting music, she's a pretty hot Rhodes player for one, makes good use of the timbres and dynamics specific to the Rhodes electric piano.

12 hours ago, craigb said:

Still my favorite "famous" interaction though!  Getting to hang out with Bob Moog for a night, out in Hollywood.  Sorry Eddie, but Bob's got ya beat! 😉

I only ever hung out with famous people *before* they were famous.

Does that make me a bad person?

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Added an emoi so no one would think my comment was intended as a mean-spirited BS competition thing.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

*Wonders why User 905133 is getting dragged into the competition... Is he just being mean???* 🤔

😜

Thank you!!!  I was thinking, "But no one would have misinterpreted the comment without the emoji."

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It raises the question: is the music inherently interesting, or is it only interesting because it's all boutique modules and vintage keyboards? If she were sitting behind a scratched up Dell Latitude with stickers all over the lid, making similar music, would we bother?

26 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

But I didn't say "inherently," I specifically asked would we  bother (watching and commenting).

I stand by my original comment: 

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

but only on principle.  😉

BTW, after watching the Gary Numan: Android in La La Land documentary that was linked in another thread, I thought of getting rid of all my synths and getting a guitar!!!  

Edited by User 905133
added "documentary"

FWIW, here's another one:

Lisa Bella Donna - Turning Point (Full Concert) 2021

A special, exclusive in studio concert. Commissioned in celebration for the post premiere release of "Sisters with Transistors" by Metrograph Films. Enjoy an evening of all new compositions performed & realized live.