Export Project Inventory (track listing/settings/plugins)

Xibolba

I would like to see a way to generate a 'project inventory' for offline analysis/documentation of a project.  This would make providing project documentation to a client extremely easy.

If this export could be in one of the delimited formats recognized by spreadsheet programs it would be ideal. 

The sort of information I'm looking for is:

Project:

• Name
  • Tempo

Tracks and busses: 

• Name
  • Notes
  • MSR/Archive/Hidden state
  • Trim
  • Fader
  • Pan
  • FX bin
    • On/Off
    • FX name
    • FX parameter/value pairs
  • Pro-channel
    • On/Off
    • FX name
    • FX parameter/value pairs
  • Track buss routing
  • Sends POST and send level

Alternately, if there is a document describing the structure of the CbB project file I'd take a stab at writing it myself.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 9/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, mettelus said:

Some of that work was done in a utility called Project Scope a few years ago. The author might be available if you want to add on to it. Aslow3 is another member who did similar work towards translating cwp files to another format and might be another resource for you.

I've looked at the tool and corresponded with the author.  Nice guy and helpful as he could be, but he was similarly hampered by the lack of project file documentation.

As it stands the tool doesn't go far enough to encompass what I'm looking for, and he didn't offer up his source.   

If I had access to an RFC document describing the cakewalk project template I could do this myself. 

I realize that CbB needs the freedom to change the project structure, but so does Microsoft (I'm thinking of the Office suite) where the file formats are documented allowing other tools (e.g.: Open Office) to read/write these files.  Open Source projects are used to chasing this and provide updates as I'm just looking to read.

On the other side of the coin. if it's a feature of Cakewalk there is no need to publish the file structure and the user experience would be seamless across releases.

• Like 1

To my knowledge, the cwp file structure has never been published (and probably never will be), but I assume that the class structure is consistent over time with the only "break point" being when Patch Points/Aux Tracks were introduced. CWPs with those included will not open in older versions of SONAR, but everything else will (with the warning that the cwp was created in a newer version of SONAR).

I misspelled @azslow3's user ID so just corrected it in the post above. He had drilled into the cwp structure enough to make a conversion tool for projects to another DAW, so if I was going to bank on anyone who would know the class breakdown, it would be him.

• Like 2