Bug report: Two step sequencer bugs

GreenLight

Hi all!

Can anyone replicate these 2 step sequencer bugs? (Although I'm not sure #2 is technically a bug, but at least for me it doesn't behave as expected).

Bug 1: Undocked Step Sequencer window status not remembered after closing window

1. Create a blank project and create a step sequencer clip
  2. Double click the step sequencer clip and it should open docked
  3. Undock the step sequencer
  4. Close the undocked step sequencer window
  5. Double click the step sequencer clip again and it has forgotten it was undocked - it opens docked again

Bug 2: Step sequencer playback marker cannot handle groove-clip looped step sequencer clips
As I mentioned above, I'm not sure this is technically a bug, but at least for me it doesn't behave as expected.

1. Extend a step sequencer clip several measures using groove-clip looping (CTRL + L and drag)
  2. Play the clip and watch the step sequencer window: the playback meter only works the first measure, then it's blank. I would expect it to loop and indicate current step as long as the clip has been looped.
  3. Note: The PRV seems to also not be able to display notes in groove-clip looped step sequencer clips. Only the notes in the first bar are shown.
    (I find it really useful that all note changes in the step sequencer are also immediately shown in the PRV – love it! I would just love them to be shown when looped as well. :))

I am using Cakewalk 2019.07 Build 79.

Thanks for a great product! :)

1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

Bug 1: Undocked Step Sequencer window status not remembered after closing window

1. Create a blank project and create a step sequencer clip
  2. Double click the step sequencer clip and it should open docked
  3. Undock the step sequencer
  4. Close the undocked step sequencer window
  5. Double click the step sequencer clip again and it has forgotten it was undocked - it opens docked again

I test drove the step sequencer years ago and have not used it since.  Since your list of procedures is straight forward, I gave it a try--in part to refresh my memory about the step sequencer. I tried several things (such as locking the clip and locking the step sequencer.  In all cases when I got to step 5, the step sequencer was undocked.

Update: I was doing something wrong. On step 2, it did not open docked, so I manually docked it.  Sorry, I am not familiar enough with the step sequencer to know how to make it dock on double clicking.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
To add the results of an additional attempt to replicate the bug
  • Like 1

Update 2: I played around with all sorts of positional settings--floating, tiling, cascading, dragging, docking/undocking via via menus, screensets, lenses, full screen/F11, etc. and got stuck in a mode where the step sequencer was a separate window and any time I went to it, it occupied the entire workspace underneath the control bar.  I think because the step sequencer was its own window, I could not dock it anywhere. 

Eventually, I got it back to the way it was when I first tried your steps, and it always seemed to remember when it was docked or undocked.

Maybe someone with more experience than me can replicate the steps.  (I learned quite a bit about the extreme flexibility we have in positioning stuff in our Cakewalk workspaces!)

• Like 1

Thanks for your input @MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)! :)  Haha, as you say, positioning isn't that straightforward to verify, with variables such as multiple monitors, screensets, lenses... 🤔 Maybe it's just something in my configuration?

Oh, isn't there also a setting somewhere concerning what happens when you double-click a clip? That's also a variable, I suppose.