New mix 24 08 2023 Remember the name, a cover of a rap song of all things.

Zargg

Hi. I thought I'd try something I've never tried before, which is to "rap".

I think the original song is cool (Remember the name by Fort Minor), so thought, why not give it a go, so here it is.

Feedback is appreciated.

All the best.
To add: I've tried to remedy some masking issues that were pointed out to me by Charlie Roy (from the old forum) on his Mixing and Mastering tips forum on FB.

Edited by Zargg
New mix
  • Like 5

The one thing that stands out is the the lack of weight in the drums, especially the kick. is it because the vocals are to forward with the rest of the mix. 

The backing sounds balanced but the vox is a bit forward.

Perhaps just these furry ears mix not quite to your normal standard sir sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

The one thing that stands out is the the lack of weight in the drums, especially the kick. is it because the vocals are to forward with the rest of the mix. 

The backing sounds balanced but the vox is a bit forward.

Perhaps just these furry ears mix not quite to your normal standard sir sorry.

Thanks for listening and feedback, Wooks. 
I'm gonna try to get some more oomph in the drums. 
I'll also try to remedy the vocals.

All the best.

46 minutes ago, jack c. said:

i like it boy that is some voice.jack c

Thanks for listening and positive feedback, Jack.

I tried to use a different kind of voice throughout the song, as the original is performed by several people.

All the best.

To be honest not my kind of music.
The mix separation is great on the guitars.
The rap you've got it 🙂

We all pain different pictures..  but compression on the voice could be used a little more to make the vocal come forward and a little more understandable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garybrun said:

To be honest not my kind of music.
The mix separation is great on the guitars.
The rap you've got it 🙂

We all pain different pictures..  but compression on the voice could be used a little more to make the vocal come forward and a little more understandable.

Thanks for listening and feedback, Gary.  (If we all liked the same music, it would be boring 🤘)

The vocals are already pretty compressed (several times), but I'll take a look and perhaps up them a little.

All the best.

Hi Zargg. Listened to original version as well. Great choice of song to reinvent. Both versions sound great. Your vocals are extraordinary. I think the original has the overall clarity and mass accessibility  that allows the listener to hear everything quite clear. So, right after I listened to the original I played yours.

My ears at first couldn't hear much clarity as it seemed that more carving of the audio spectrum was needed to give each instrument a clear and present place to be clearly heard. I then listened to yours a few more times and my ears slowly picked up on your mixes completely different audio palette. So now I'm like.... both versions are excellently realized in completely different ways. Cheers!!🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Larry T. said:

Hi Zargg. Listened to original version as well. Great choice of song to reinvent. Both versions sound great. Your vocals are extraordinary. I think the original has the overall clarity and mass accessibility  that allows the listener to hear everything quite clear. So, right after I listened to the original I played yours.

My ears at first couldn't hear much clarity as it seemed that more carving of the audio spectrum was needed to give each instrument a clear and present place to be clearly heard. I then listened to yours a few more times and my ears slowly picked up on your mixes completely different audio palette. So now I'm like.... both versions are excellently realized in completely different ways. Cheers!!🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks for listening and positive feedback, Larry.

I just (5 mins ago) replaced the mix with one with a little more vocals, and a few other minor tweaks.

All the best.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, FreeEarCandy said:

Not a genre I feel I'm qualified to comment about,  but I like the guitar tone.  I can't help but sense the fusion of heavy metal in this rap effort. Kudos for taking a stab at it.  

Thanks for listening and feedback. Sorry for the late reply. I don't get any emails from Cakewalk anymore, and forgot to check this one.

It is indeed metal with me trying to "rap" to it. (I used "" as this is my very 1st attempt on doing it, so didn't wanna call what I did rap.)

All the best.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Zargg changed the title to New mix 24 08 2023 Remember the name, a cover of a rap song of all things.