New Sonar with CwB Workspaces, etc

HOOK

Will we be able to import and use our current CwB workspaces, custom buttons, fx presets, track templates, plugin folders and project templates into the new Sonar?

In other words, will this coming paid update keep our customized workflow intact, or will we have to rebuild?

Thx.

Cakewalk Sonar is intended as a replacement for CbB.

It is based on the same code base CbB  and SONAR before it.

The product in still in development so the following is all speculation. 

Cakewalk Sonar will be handled like all the upgrades in the past similar to SONAR to CbB, The file organization and workflow should reflect this.

WRT file organization, there will be product specific folders for the program, programdata, content and appdata. 

During installation there will be an opportunity to migrate settings which I will decline as has been the recommendation for years. Instead, I will take all defaults and modify the new DAW based on my old setup but only after I see how it runs with default settings. Some prefer to migrate settings.

Both Cakewalk Sonar and CbB will be available using the same set of "Shared folders" containing the plug-in manager, VST scanner, Pro Channel, DX plug-ins, etc updated for Sonar backward compatible with CbB and older products based on the same code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, HOOK said:

Will we be able to import and use our current CwB workspaces, custom buttons, fx presets, track templates, plugin folders and project templates into the new Sonar?

In other words, will this coming paid update keep our customized workflow intact, or will we have to rebuild?

I previously asked if Workspaces will be retained. The answer was yes.  But I assume if the Cakewalk Sonar UI doesn't have certain features (for example custom themes), certain UI changes will be meaningless.  However, if initially theme-switching is excluded from the early releases, maybe it will be included in a later release in some modified form.  I would assume if this is the case, the team would choose to keep the parameter in the *.lns file (maybe with a warning plus a check box to ignore this warning in the future or maybe a timed out notice) and switch all the UI elements that do work with the new UI system. However, with a new UI system, this might not be practical.

This is 100% speculation + 100% optimism on my part. I have no standing with Cakewalk except as a user

I like making themes.
Will the new Sonar allow us to customize the UI? Will it use the same Theme Editor? Did you fix such issues as one color used in several different places? Get rid of the old unused elements?

Theming capabilities will change and there may be little to no customization in the first release of Sonar. That said, a tremendous amount of thought and effort have gone into this rework and we hope that the need for theming will be greatly diminished moving forward. 

The way that theming works in CbB is tortuous, so we're moving to a simpler, more elegant presentation idiom. The core customization capabilities that are needed most will likely be introduced in the future, but in a far more user friendly way than what's available in the current theme editor. 

Based on this I think its safe to assume that if custom-themes based on the way they are under CbB are a big part of your reason for switching Workspaces, that will be different.

I am also open to the possibility that the Workspaces management system might be improved.  I'm taking a wait and see attitude. (We will find out when we find out.)

Edited by User 905133
clarifications added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1