IK Lurssen mastering console + Cakewalk opinion

Misha

I am sure some of you are familiar with  IK Lurssen mastering console plugin.

I was wondering if I am the only one who has issues with it?  In most cases I use it in the project that has only one stereo file - (bounced mix imported to new project) It seems that even with a buffer set at 2048 experience is not always smooth and I would get dropouts (stopped audio engine) often. If I add anything else (another plugin) it becomes even more unstable.

I am not looking for ways to "tune up" my system.  I can run projects with pretty heavy plugins without issues. I am curious to know peoples experience with this particular plug. Asked IK about this.... They gently avoided answering directly. What gets me, is that this plugin released long time ago and on my machine, i7 6 core/ nvme/ 32ram should run without any issues, yet it's not.

Thanks.

I found that it is a real drag on the CPU when used as a PI on the master bus in a couple of DAWs (CbB, Nuendo, Cubase) on my beefy i9 proc, so I only use it in SAL mode anymore, where it works just fine.

Could be because it up-samples IRT to 88.2/96k internally, but can't prove that.

Edited by OutrageProductions

@Misha Yes, Lurssen is very cpu hungry. I also have made it known to IK a couple of years ago, but nothing has been done to fix this. The solution I use, is I have reverted to version 1.0.3. It is the version just before the last. This helps a lot cpu wise and still works ok as far as I can tell. You can find more info in this thread:

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for commenting.  I know, it's a "lazy man" mastering, but it does a decent job for what it is.  Perhaps they will address it, or come out with next version which will be lighter on resources.

P.S. John,  seems that you are lucky :)

Yes, I have had the same issue with this plugin (IK Lurssen Mastering console) for as pretty much as long as I can remember. Because of this I have resolved to not even using it, which is a same because because it seems like it might be a decent plugin. Its an older plugin so I'm not sure if IK will do much. I will have to try as Jacques suggests and use an older version. Good to know I wasn't the only one having problems with it.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, John Nelson said:

Babyface Pro

UFX here. RME drivers, drivers, drivers. 

Works a treat for me. 
I strap it on the master buss, no issues. 
Now, I often have the buffer at 2048, but not always…

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

On 6/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, John Nelson said:

It works flawlessly on a 24/48 project here, with 512 samples. Babyface Pro .

But what cpu are you running it on? The power of your PC is what makes the most difference here, the rest may help, but if the DAW's machine is not powerfull enough (new enough), you will get crackel.

My specs are in my signature.

My workflow is generally to export my mix as a wave file and drop that into a fresh project with Lurssen (and any other mastering plugs) on the master bus.

Trying to combine mixing and mastering in one project is not best practice.

That said, I am able to use Lurssen in a combined project without crackles.  At 258 to 512 samples, depending on conplexity of the mix.

• Like 1

for mastering and mixing i generally set my io to 2048 samples or even higher to minimize load. i only ever use low # of samples for recording live instruments or live MIDI performances. for mastering a project (with multiple tracks) i only put the metering plugins on the master, and each track in the mastering project gets its own plugins (typ Ozone 10 or sometimes the Abbey Road Mastering plugin).

so you might try to increase the # of samples just to see if that helps. 

• Thanks 1

"DeeringAmps

...drivers, drivers, drivers. "

Hmmm, how about poorly (inefficiently ) written plugin, plugin, plugin?  :)

Jacques,

...The power of your PC is what makes the most difference here" 

That is partially true. But considering that plugin was released ~7 years ago, I would think they should of tested it thoroughly making sure it is acceptable on current machines (of that time).  Fortunately, I didn't pay full $150 price for it,  so I am happy  to have it in my arsenal.  Also, thank you for the link on downgrading. I just finished a project,  I will try your method on the next one.

---

Glenn, 

Yes, 2048 is what I have.  In most cases, I am able to use it, and complete tune, but it is very fragile.  Slight change of adding  even a light footprint VST or minor GPU bump makes it go "Stopped audio engine"

----------------------------------

Thank you all for commenting. The sole purpose of this thread was to see if I was the only one who experienced this.  Perhaps with new,  paid Sonar  bakers will consider  making an "in-house" Mastering console?

using the built-in plugins, you could construct a reasonable "mastering chain" (even using the FX chain "mastering" ones) by using the CbB EQ, Compressors, Limiter (mode), Channel Tools (M/S etc), Tape and Console for saturation, etc and likely achieve really nice results with the right ears and skills. the only thing missing would be a CbB metering plugin -- but there are several decent free ones.

image.png.48faa783a63585d67327dc476d441f54.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton