Instrument Definition for RME TotalMix app - basic MIDI Ctrl

JnTuneTech

Cakewalk .ins - Instrument Definition file for RME TotalMix app (MCP subset plus RME) MIDI control mapping.

-This definition file can be used as a way to graphically change the Cakewalk keyboard note representations in PRV, to help in quicker MIDI note placement, and subsequent viewing & editing, when triggering RME TotalMix track button states via MIDI. -It may also be minimally useful in connection with any MCP (Mackie Control Protocol) capable device, as by design RME incorporated basic MCP mapping into their MIDI control implementation.

As of this writing, RME has recently released the latest iteration of their flagship audio interface - the Fireface UFX III. In recognition of that, -and seeing as how I created this Cakewalk ins file specifically to use with the original UFX when connected to Cakewalk, which I do still use almost exclusively as my audio interface, I am posting a copy of this file here should anyone find it useful!

CbB_RME TotalMix Ctrl.ins

CbB_example-MIDI-PRV-wRME-basic-snip01_2023-04-17.png.6cfcddd61bdf346a9ec03f235ded8487.png

Notes and Caveats:
1) This is a very basic instrument definition implementation, meant primarily for quick MIDI control mapping of basic RME TotalMix app button functions, and some MCP programming, which RME implemented in their app many years ago. It has not been updated for any changes since about 2010, and the primary source for the information on how the RME application is set up for this can be found in the RME TotalMix and device documentation. -It has been working for me flawlessly through all RME & Cakewalk software iterations since then.

2a) MIDI CC 7 - which is nominally output on start and use of a MIDI track in Cakewalk, will also natively control the Master Volume fader (MCP, and/or as assigned in RME TotalMix), when the Cakewalk MIDI track output is assigned to the RME TotalMix MIDI connection, and set to MIDI channel None or 1. It will continue to map to that control when the Cakewalk MIDI track fader is moved, and/or indicated with an envelope, and/or if embedded MIDI CC 7 messages are inserted into the track.

2b) -ALSO - Note that leaving the Cakewalk per-project setting - Preferences - Project - MIDI - Other Options: Zero Controllers When Play Stops - in the on (box checked) state, will cause TotalMix fader positions to go askew when the transport is stopped (when the TotalMix app MIDI output connection is active), whether or not the tracking is muted, etc.

CbB_Prefs-Project-MIDI_OtherOptions-basic-snip01_2023-04-17.png.bfcc5a82546bd3f82eef1fbcb4b04134.png

3) I have included MIDI CC basic mapping for VPOT (rotary control) in track-pan mode (MCP and RME), -but for experimentation only-. As the VPOT pan control implementation in the MCP protocol is very low-level programming intensive, the use here has only worked for me in a few cases, creating small CC ramps in Cakewalk PRV, and editing the events one-by-one afterwards. -To get a programming explanation of how this function works in MIDI CC programming, you might refer to this Bome forum post:  https://forum.bome.com/t/motormix-pan-knobs-using-mackie-mcu-protocol/1076/3  -Otherwise, it is actually Much Less Frustrating to just connect a MCP-compatible control surface, and record that kind of programming from that source - FYI.

CbB_Prefs-MIDI-Instruments-wRME-basic-snip01_2023-04-17.png.33f3d637b5d3a41f0da4762a7d261345.png

4) Adding this ins file, and using it to map a MIDI port assignment in Cakewalk is in the Cakewalk documentation. Usage of the MIDI control in the RME TotalMix app - with an RME device, is in the RME documentation. It is best to gain a full understanding of all of those factors, before using this file, as I cannot cover all the possible options & troubleshooting. -Use the docs - they will be your official support.

RME-TMix-wSettings-example_CbB_Forum-snip01_2023-04-17.thumb.png.485efb7f15933f65d3ac09e49cc8394b.png

Normally, the basic use for this, in my workflow in Cakewalk, has been like so:

I create a MIDI track in almost every project that I will play and perform with, to choose, and/or dynamically change the RME Snapshot selection, as well as the master volume level, and often the track mute states for the mixer in TotalMix, as the project plays back. -This is very useful for me, as that determines what I hear via the headphones mixes, and the output (to a PA for instance), of the complex I/O of the RME audio interface, programmatically. -Having a quick way to reference the exact notes needed to accomplish this, via changing the Instrument Definition - note names in the PRV for that control track, helps me set up and view my programming simply.

Generally, just adding a note value at the default of 100 velocity, will suffice, and as mentioned, adjusting the MIDI track volume will also control the designated master out level, so it's fairly simple. -Again, for anything more complex, using an MCP-compatible control surface, routed in to the Cakewalk MIDI track, and recorded, will provide much of the rest of the possible controls (such as track fader volumes, etc.).

Finally, to use Cakewalk to control RME TotalMix, both installed on the same PC, I use loopMIDI to create a set of virtual MIDI ports to connect the two apps (both are used when using a feedback-capable MIDI controller). -There are also ways to implement remote MIDI control via networking, or OSC, if you want to experiment with having Cakewalk MIDI control the RME TotalMix app on a remotely connected PC with an RME audio interface, such as from an offstage control booth to an onstage sound system. -Many possibilities, and they are still developing all the time.

In any case, I hope someone finds this as useful, as I have. -Though I do still wish there was easier way to create/edit .ins files available, feel free of course to re-use or modify this one as you see fit.  -Jn-

• Like 1