Video Start Time in CbB

RFHusband

Ran into a situation when importing a video into a CWbB project. The WMV video can't have its Start Time adjusted (the field to set a new time appears in the video track header but is grayed out).  I ended up changing the default video engine as described in the documentation but there are some details I discovered along the way which aren't documented, that I can find. Changing the default video engine re-enabled the Start Time field for Microsoft video file types. Hopefully, the following might be helpful to anyone else trying to figure this out. Now I just need to find a lossless file converter for MOV and MP4 to WMV...

----

Change default Cakewalk video engine from Media Foundation to DirectShow...

Media Foundation video engine (required for MOV , MP4, 3GP, M4V video files - Apple file formats ,possibly) does not support changing the video start time. Changing the default to DirectShow video engine allows adjusting video clip start time (for Microsoft format videos only: WMV, ASF, MPG, AVI, MPE, MPEG). Attempts to load MOV and MP4 video files (Apple file formats, possibly) will automatically use Media Foundation video engine instead of the new DirectShow default, as set up in the editing instructions below for the INI file.

To specify the default video engine

When importing a video file, SONAR will first attempt to use the default Media Foundation video engine. If the video format is not supported, SONAR will next attempt to use the legacy DirectShow video engine.

[From the Cakewalk documentation]

To specify the default video engine:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File.

Under Configuration Settings, click Edit Config File. The Aud.ini file opens in the default Windows text editor.

In Aud.ini, create a new [Video] section at the bottom of the file and add a new entry called VideoEngine and set its value to 0 (leave a blank line at the end). For example:

[Video]

VideoEngine=0

Valid values are as follows:

0 = DirectShow engine.

1 = Media Foundation engine (default).

Save Aud.ini and close the Windows text editor.

Click Reload Config Settings to reload the current audio configuration settings from Aud.ini.

Tip: To confirm which video engine is currently used, right-click the Video view or video thumbnail and select Video Properties on the pop-up menu, then click the Info tab.

Notes: 

Unsupported video file types: FLV

Tested on Windows 10 Pro, Version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Edited by RFHusband
Clarity

• RFHusband changed the title to Video Start Time in CbB