I can't drag anything if I leave cakewalk open for a long time

Nocturne

Question

Hello,

Whenever I leave a Cakewalk project open for a period of time and I don't use the software in that amount of time, I can no longer drag anything on my laptop.
Cakewalks effects freeze when I try to drag them (see attached photo) and I can't drag anything else on my laptop until I do a full system restart. 

This only happens after I launch cakewalk then leave it open for a period of time. 

If any of you have a fix, besides for restarting my computer each time this happens, please respond here or dm me on discord: Nocturnal#8344 

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 224323.png

4 answers to this question

I highly suspect that you have sleep settings enabled on your computer. Windows is wonky about sleep settings enabled in any way (do not trust them). If you type "Power and Sleep Settings" into Windows search, having the screen go off is fine (to a setting of your choosing), but the sleep setting should be set to "Never." You can dig deeper into those settings, but never sleeping might solve your issue.

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

I highly suspect that you have sleep settings enabled on your computer. Windows is wonky about sleep settings enabled in any way (do not trust them). If you type "Power and Sleep Settings" into Windows search, having the screen go off is fine (to a setting of your choosing), but the sleep setting should be set to "Never." You can dig deeper into those settings, but never sleeping might solve your issue.

I tried turning that off and the same thing happened after awhile 

On 2/19/2023 at 1:22 AM, mettelus said:

I just restarted my computer after I changed that setting and I think everything is working now! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

[You replied after typing this, but the proprietary software is worth noting just in case for future reference] Gotcha, some laptop manufacturers also have their own proprietary energy management (in addition or in lieu of Windows), which would be another thing to look for specific to your laptop brand. As it happens after a long period, the system is most likely powering off things it sees as idle. A good practice with post-production work is to 1) focus on that only, since other programs may wrestle for resources and 2) Save and closeout work if stepping away.