Feature Request: Retain Imported Cue Marker Info

Shane Taylor

I would like to request that Cue Markers be imported while retaining the names and numbers stored in the BWF file itself, instead of renaming/renumbering them. I honestly can't think of a situation when I'd ever NOT want to use that information upon import. The current approach makes them useless for any post-production work.

Just as important, I found that CW does not import Cue REGIONS like other DAWs. In fact, if a BWF has REGION markers defined, then CW won't even import the normal Cue Markers from the file. These Regions are cues that span between two markers, exactly like Loop and Punch regions, except permanent, and appear in the Markers list. In Adobe Audition, for example, Regions are treated just like cue markers, but with a start and end time, indicating a range. In Reaper, they are treated a little differently in that regions and cue markers have their own timeline lane, and Actions can be applied to them differently, whereas Audition combines them all into the timeline itself, with Regions indicated (as with Loops and Punch) by colors. Either method is sufficient.

I would also like to be able to SAVE BWF files WITH these markers, names, etc. intact in standard format for use in other applications. This is especially important in post-production work where film scores may be generated in Cakewalk and exported for import by a mixing or rerecording engineer who must ensure everything aligns. Markers are invaluable, if not a necessity.

Please make this a priority. I am currently evaluating Cakewalk in a film post-production environment for a remix of a 5.1 short film project with about 100 tracks and nearly 90 cue markers and regions for precise locations in the film. I am  using a mix of existing stems and individual tracks where appropriate, with the intent to add an additional score to the film, produced in Cakewalk (I hope). This import issue has become a roadblock, as renaming markers on imported files (e.g., from archives or other contributors) is a significant hindrance to workflow now and in the future.

Edited by Shane Taylor