EDT

More outcome based menus/options?

I have been trying to get to grips with more advanced audio editing functions but ultimately I often find myself not knowing what function it is I need and then have to search through quite traditional menus.

It would be interested to know if there could be some more user friendly outcome based rather than process based pop up menus.

e.g. if I want to match tempos/line up two tracks (I am struggling with this!) I select both tracks could it not just ask me in simpleton terms whether  I want to do that, or x, y or z and then the software does the job behind the scenes (as it has all the tools to do it). Or rather than all the menus at the top and then the separate menus in the project itself.

Could it be configured to have a simple "Timing" button and then it does the trick?

This is just one example. Just an idea...I'm not a computer person really just a musician.

EDT

Depending on what you want to do, there's two tools that come to mind:

1. VocalSync - this will sync up two more or less identical tracks timing wise (e.g. main vocals & backing vocals), but isn't limited to vocals. You could use it for harmony guitars for example.

2. If you're wanting to match the timing of two different tracks, take a look at AudioSnap... I think this is what you need.

Here's a 2 min introduction:

and here's a more comprehensive guide:

Thank you again Mark! The second video is certainly in depth but then still doesn't explain the jargon and there are still interminable menus and options which use further jargon which I get the feeling I would need to have a two day course on to learn what they mean. Conversely, I don't need to know what they mean if the software would simply ask me a question or two about what it is I want to achieve rather than giving me menus of options which mean nothing to the untrained eye.

Some of the points touched on in the second video make this apparent - the nomenclature is esoteric. I almost already feel like I will never understand Audiosnap. 

There must be a better way of presenting Audiosnap to idiots like me - maybe even splitting it into different functions - use easier to understand workflows, set out into steps 1 -3 for instance, then "Finished?" rather than "Render".

However, I also appreciate that those trained in how this all works would probably want to retain the menus, jargon and interfaces they are familiar with. Maybe the programmers could add a new form of project lens which would have simpleton buttons and pop up boxes to ask the user what they want to achieve when they select two tracks out of the six tracks in the project for example.

By the way thank you for your tip on Vocal Sync and possibly using that with guitars. I have a project which that may well come in very useful on.

@EDT, I think like your idea a lot but I want to make sure I understand your idea.

Am I correct that what you're suggesting is task wizards?  I'm defining a task wizard as a pop-up window with step-by-step instructions describing how to perform a task.  Ideally there should be one pop-up window for each task step.  Each pop-up window should also include a hyperlink that opens another pop-up window that details how to perform the step.

Let's say you want to perform a specific task like copy midi between tracks.  You would navigate to the task wizard menu and select "copy midi".  A pop-up window would state:  "highlight the midi in a track to be copied."  If you don't know how to highlight then you can click on the word highlight and a new pop-up window opens that describes how to highlight.  There will be a pop-up window to guide you through each step needed to copy midi between tracks.

Does that describe and give an example of your suggestion?