Midi Keyoard using Cakewalk TTS keeps sustaining

I am laying down a Yamaha keyboard into Bandlab.  It was working fine and for the most part always has, but today I laid down a track, and then went to punch in to fix an area from about the middle of the song to the end using auto punch in.  It punched in fine, but it is playing back with SUSTAIN.  Therefore even if I hit short chopping chords they keep ringing out.  And when playing regular chords that I an holding they sustain into the next chord.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Edited by Frank DeFede

Look for a pedal (sustain) event (MIDI CC 64 with a value > 0) placed ahead of time to your inserted events. The sustain will affect all subsequent notes until there is a MIDI CC 64 event with a value of 0.

To turn off the sustain, either modify the curve at the bottom pane of the PRV or optionally in the event list add another CC 64 event with a value of 0 where you want the sustain to end.

Thanks I'll try to find it.  Where do I look for a (sustain) event?  I think I found it in the Layers below.  but can't seem to figure out how to add the 0.  

OK, I found how to add the 0.  I clicked in the layer to add it where I didn't want it and took it out from the point.  I started  to populate some sustain by clicking at the highest point in the layer,  It worked at first, but when I went back in to add a few more places the same procedure of clicking at the top or at 0 did nothing.  I must be an idiot.

Your advice is most welcome.

Thank you

Edited by Frank DeFede

Probably the easiest place to look is on the PRV:

image.png.8063660affc4330b73b916c9e56f3100.png

Another place to look is the Event List:

image.png.39ba62a87681c6111bf25bef985536ec.png

A value of 127 means on, a value of 0 means off.

Some sustain pedals will use values in between, but 0 always means off (no sustain).

You should also be able to just press and release your sustain pedal, while that midi track is in focus, and that should also turn it off.  I sometimes have articulation changes switched on because I played a section where one was deliberately made, and then I move to a different spot on the timeline and there wasn't a midi event that switched it back to what the different section was intended to have - for that situation, I just press the key-switch for the desired articulation - same principle, just pressing and releasing the sustain pedal works too.

I don't want to insert a bunch of articulation or other events just because something is left hanging or changed due to my moving around the time line during tracking or editing..  I MUCH prefer to just dynamically adjust the sound, because if I insert a midi event correction - I would then have to go find that event if I end up wanting to make some general change articulation change to that track later on.  By only temporarily dynamically switching the articulation or pressing and releasing the sustain pedal, there aren't a bunch of otherwise unneeded events that might become a pain in the rear later.

I hope the above makes sense, it is pretty early in my day here, and I am still waiting for my first cup of coffee to finish brewing.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Wise words from @Robert Bone .

I totally agree about the pressing/releasing of the sustain pedal, certainly when playing has stopped.

If its causing a problem during recording though, you may want to consider setting your punch in point just after an existing  sustain off event.

• 2 weeks later...

I always start with pedal down and release right at the start of the take just to make sure any sustains are killed for that take.  Likewise after the fact you can hold pedal down and hit record and let it up at the start of your current take.

Edited by Blogospherianman