Jump to content
aidan o driscoll

UJAM Silk - nylon-stringed concert guitar ( $29 - AudioPlugin Deals )

Recommended Posts

Damn right, thanks Aidan! This one even allows us to play melody, and adds a bass, compared to Amber. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Damn right, thanks Aidan! This one even allows us to play melody, and adds a bass, compared to Amber. 

Silk doesn't seem to have the Instrument Mode that lets you play individual notes. How do you play melody?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveiv said:

Silk doesn't seem to have the Instrument Mode that lets you play individual notes. How do you play melody?

Don’t know, Dave, haven’t tried it yet. Got the info from the company’s blurb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Silk doesn't seem to have the Instrument Mode that lets you play individual notes. How do you play melody?

If you watch the tutorial video, you set the style and/or pattern by pressing a keyswitch, then hold a note down and the virtual guitarist plays the selected "melody" in that key/chord.

UJAM added the Instrument Mode to the version 2 virtual guitarists, where you can play the notes yourself. As far as I can tell, only VG-Carbon (technically a "version 2") and VG-Iron 2 have this ability. I also have VG-Sparkle, and it does NOT have Instrument Mode.

The Virtual Bassists all have an Instrument Mode.

Edit: another feature that UJAM added to virtual guitars in v2 was the MIDI pattern drag and drop that allows you to move patterns from the instrument UI to your DAW track. The virtual basses have this as well. The interesting thing about this feature is that the MIDI pattern is transposed to the note you are playing/holding at the time you click-drag the pattern out. Very cool!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

VG Carbon has instrument mode. Silk and Sparkle dont .. yet

Yep, I mentioned VG-Carbon in my last comment. It was released after the UJAM v2 updates were released, and was the first totally new VG to have the new feature set, so UJAM didn't tag it as v2.

But Silk, Amber, and Sparkle do not have the new feature set yet. I got Sparkle in a giveaway years ago, and was disappointed with the limitations. Holding out on Silk and Amber until they are upgraded.

I did buy Carbon and Iron 2 because of the new feature additions. And I have all of the UJAM basses. :)

 

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silk is one of my favorite ujam instruments.

Renaxxance is my all-time fave nylon guitar VI.   I began a video not long ago where I played the same MIDI on every nylon guitar VI I own, including Nylon Sky, OTS, etc...  Renaxxance won.  And it's a pleasure to play.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is the global leader in hard rock virtual instruments right now, Iron 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone using SILK or another guitar VI for songwriting, only to be replaced by a real performance later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, abacab said:

And I have all of the ULAM basses. :)

Are they LAMe?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Anyone using SILK or another guitar VI for songwriting, only to be replaced by a real performance later?

I have. i use these vst guitar instuments for an alt way to find ideas and then learn them on my guitars. I have 2 strats, a Peavey impact ( my daily ), a Yamaha cutaway Classical and a tanglewood big body acoustic.

Also - partic classical guitar it can be hard to record on puter, as in get the live sound you hear

Here is a version of a BLUE NILE track we did a while back. Using the yamaha classical above - solo at about 2.18 on. Was happy with that ( using Cakewalk at time )

http://www.tidalsound.com/mp3/lets go out tonight.mp3

Then more recently used it at the end of a new track we did .. not as happy

https://www.colourtide.com

End of Getting On track 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

I have. i use these vst guitar instuments for an alt way to find ideas and then learn them on my guitars. I have 2 strats, a Peavey impact ( my daily ), a Yamaha cutaway Classical and a tanglewood big body acoustic.

Also - partic classical guitar it can be hard to record on puter, as in get the live sound you hear

Here is a version of a BLUE NILE track we did a while back. Using the yamaha classical above - solo at about 2.18 on. Was happy with that ( using Cakewalk at time )

http://www.tidalsound.com/mp3/lets go out tonight.mp3

Then more recently used it at the end of a new track we did .. not as happy

https://www.colourtide.com

End of Getting On track

That's the strategy in my mind. I also use drum VSTs to learn drumming patterns and such.

Last 16 hours for the UJAM Silk discount, by the way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...