Jump to content
David Owen

Change gain/volume on track/clip directly?

Recommended Posts

Is there something similar to adjusting the gain/volume without having to use envelopes?  One can click on a waveform/clip/track in Studio One and raise or lower it with the mouse which is handy.  I was wondering if Sonar had something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the best way to do this is to change the clip envelope - I know it sounds like using an envelope, but it doesn't actually involve drawing one.

If you change the filter on the clip to Clip Gain, then hold the CTRL key down, you can move the volume up and down for the clip.

As this just affects the clip, you're still free to use volume automation for the track independently:

clip_volume.gif

You can of course do this with the track volume as well, but this will be overridden by any fader changes or track volume automation.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David Owen said:

Is there something similar to adjusting the gain/volume without having to use envelopes?  One can click on a waveform/clip/track in Studio One and raise or lower it with the mouse which is handy.  I was wondering if Sonar had something like this.

The different ways to do it is more intrusive than just moving the Track Fader or gain knob with your mouse.

FYI:  Gain and Track Fader Volume or 2 different things. Gain raises the volume pre effects and pre-sends, unlike the Track Fader that can be post for effects and sends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you change the filter on the clip to Clip Gain, then hold the CTRL key down, you can move the volume up and down for the clip.

One can do this also without changing the filter to Clip Gain first, just hold CTRL key down and click in the lower half portion of the clip to drag the Clip Gain envelope up and down. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you change the filter on the clip to Clip Gain, then hold the CTRL key down, you can move the volume up and down for the clip.

Or, use the Process > Apply Effect > Normalize to the desired peak value. I have normalize on a keyboard shortcut so it doesn't take much time to, for example, drop the peak to -6 dB.

Edited by Craig Anderton
Remove redundant solution, add another option
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been lobbying (for a good while) for a static "Clip Gain" parameter.  😉

This static clip-gain parameter would ideally scale the waveform up/down.

This makes it quick/easy to level out the volume of tracks.

Clip Gain Envelope works... but it's a slower process (and no waveform scaling).

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I've been lobbying (for a good while) for a static "Clip Gain" parameter.  😉

This static clip-gain parameter would ideally scale the waveform up/down.

This makes it quick/easy to level out the volume of tracks.

Clip Gain Envelope works... but it's a slower process (and no waveform scaling).

 

 

That’s what Process, Apply effect, Gain does,  It will Apply Clip gain to the clip or selection and scale the waveform.  That’s the way I do some pre-leveling of lines, words or syllables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blogospherianman said:

That’s what Process, Apply effect, Gain does,  It will Apply Clip gain to the clip or selection and scale the waveform.  That’s the way I do some pre-leveling of lines, words or syllables.

FWIW, I'm well aware of the destructive processing option.  😉

The static gain change to which I'm referring is non-destructive.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Samplitude. Which is way behind on midi  But has a few really nice Audio features I wish were in sonar. Like the one Jim is talking about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, Max Arwood said:

Like Samplitude. Which is way behind on midi  But has a few really nice Audio features I wish were in sonar. Like the one Jim is talking about. 

I agree...

Samplitude started out as a really advanced (realtime) audio editing application.

It had many realtime processing options decades ago... which was revolutionary back then.

 

I'd LOVE to see that "Static Clip Gain" control added to CbB.

I'm mixing a project for a client as we speak... and it would certainly help speed up the process.

Yes, I can work around it... but it's not the same.  It would be a huge time saver.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justamente envié un correo a Cakewalk, comentándole la necesidad de esa opción clip gain, ojalá la implementen.
Para dejar Samplitude y quedarme en Cakewalk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this thread by accident while looking for info about something else and really glad I did...

Much thx to msmcleod for posting the mini-tutorial above as well as to CJ for the info about Gain and Track Fader Volume...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...