Jump to content
  • 0
DSL

Midi editor piano roll view

Question

Hi Friends,

A quick question about the piano roll view:

In my current project I already have some audio tracks and have BFD3 drums. I am trying to write some MIDI for an external synth, but the midi editor seems to be defaulting to a drum map rather than piano roll, which is obviously no use to me. I don't have any soft synth in the project. I also note that the channel midi output options are only BFD.

As a workaround I opened a new project, inserted a midi track and that defaulted to the normal piano roll, so I was able to continue. Once I have the MIDI track completed I intend to import into the original project and assign to external synth.

So my question is can I force piano roll in a MIDI track? I tried all the obvious menu options but was unsuccessful.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I'm not sure what you're asking. The piano roll only works on MIDI tracks.

How do you have this external synth connected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. The piano roll only works on MIDI tracks.

How do you have this external synth connected?

Hi bdickens,

I don't have the external synth connected at present, I only connect it for tracking to save having trailing leads across the room.

Basically, I think CbB defaults to whatever MIDI device it can see connected (in this case BFD3 drums is the only thing), and I'm asking if there is a way to override this on any other MIDI tracks that I add. Obviously I already have a MIDI track for the drums.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to add TTS-1 or similar I would have the option, as I could then set the MIDI channel output to it.

I can live with the workaround, I just wanted to see if there was an easier way to do it.

Thanks,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 minutes ago, bdickens said:

You can't have a track routed to something that isn't there.

Obviously not, even CbB isn't that clever!ūüėĀ

No, but I think that other new MIDI tracks should not have to be automatically treated by Cakewalk as drum MIDI tracks - and that's what I was getting at. I want to write the MIDI before connecting a synth, which seems a reasonable thing to do. Once it's done I can connect up, check it works, make any tweaks and then track. That's how I used to do it back in the day with an external sequencer.

Anyway, if it can't be done no problem - I just wanted to ask in case it's a question of my ignorance. Thanks for trying to help my friend!

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The short answer to the OQ is No.

When inserting a new MIDI track, CbB will default output to the 1st or only device available. In your case BFD.

If absolutely no devices or softsynths are present the default is "1-" and the Output dropdown only gives drum maps as an option.

If you have a MIDI interface with multiple ports connected AND listed in Preferences, CbB will default to the 1st device.
    You can label one EMPTY or NONE and switch to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
35 minutes ago, DSL said:

I think that other new MIDI tracks should not have to be automatically treated by Cakewalk as drum MIDI tracks

They  aren't. But if the only VSTi you have in your project is a drum kit, what do you think your new MIDI track is going to get routed to? You would have to put another VSTi in your project.

I leave everything connected all the time so that it is all available instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, sjoens said:

The short answer to the OQ is No.

When inserting a new MIDI track, CbB will default output to the 1st or only device available. In your case BFD.

If absolutely no devices or softsynths are present the default is "1-" and the Output dropdown only gives drum maps as an option.

If you have a MIDI interface with multiple ports connected AND listed in Preferences, CbB will default to the 1st device.
    You can label one EMPTY or NONE and switch to it.

 

Ah thanks, I thought that must be what was happening. Glad to know it isn't just me being dumb (for a change!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

To clarify outputs:

 If the hardware device uses 5 pin Mini connection then make sure your interface is selected in Preferences/ Midi/ Devices as an output. The device itself doesn’t need to be connected  only the interface.  

If it uses USB Midi to connect, then it’s best you leave it connected every time you open that project or you will have issues. 
 

And as said above, it’s easy to change the PVR view to the regular keyboard. But I can’t see how one would be able to work with out the track producing sound unless you’re program lights 

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

You can hide the drum pane in the PRV by clicking on the "view->hide drum pane" item in the PVR.

 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

And as said above, it’s easy to change the PVR view to the regular keyboard. But I can’t see how one would be able to work with out the track producing sound unless you’re program lights 

Keep in mind the project has only one instance of BFD 3.

If CbB does not have any MIDI output devices selected, there is no way to set the PRV label pane to the keyboard. It will always display the BFD 3 drum names or names from an instrument definition.

The OP needs to either enable a MIDI output device or add a softsynth that does not supply note names like BFD 3. There are only a few synths that implement the effGetMidiKeyName opcode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/9/2022 at 8:21 PM, bdickens said:

They  aren't. But if the only VSTi you have in your project is a drum kit, what do you think your new MIDI track is going to get routed to? You would have to put another VSTi in your project.

I leave everything connected all the time so that it is all available instantly.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks very much for your help. After buying a USB extension, I've decided to follow bdickens' advice and leave the external synths permanently connected! As you may imagine that solved the issue.ūüĎć

Can I just take this opportunity to thank you all for being so sharing with your knowledge - this really is an excellent Forum with some really great people.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...