Cakewalk Start Screen- show All Templates?

sadicus

How to get Start Screen > New Project to display all templates?
Start Screen > New Project
is only displaying some of the templates, and not even starting with "3 Channel 707 Quick Kit" It's starting with "6 Channel Air Quick Kit"
and there are 17 templates before and many custom templates after. I'm not understanding how which templates shown are decided.

I was a holdout in installing CbB, and kept using Platinum for several months. But once I did install it I noticed that only a few of my templates were displayed in the Start Screen. I had to manually move my custom templates into the correct folder. Not sure why CbB looked for templates in a different location than Platinum, but at least no templates were lost. OP: Find your cwt's and move them. Maybe check preferences in your old version of SONAR to see where they are.

By default, project templates are stored in C:\Cakewalk Content\{DAW Name}\Project Templates

I prefer to change the Template path in Preferences because a custom path is not updated by the installers and I do not have to copy templates with each new DAW. Since Platinum and CbB the copy is less of an issue but updates by the installers are more frequent.

C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Track Templates

All my templates are in both locations (core and Pt) ...you saying to change the path to Platinum?

C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR Platinum\Project Templates

It does not matter where the project templates are physically located as long the the path is correct in preferences. Personally, I do not use the default path for the reason mentioned in my previous post.

Of course, track templates (file extension cwx) are not show in the start screen only project templates (file extension cwt) are.

Looks like the paths and content are exactly where their suppose to be and linked to the correct path in "Preferences"
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Project Templates

"Start Screen > New Project" is only displaying 100 of the 181 templates in the folder, they are also not organized Alphanumerically.

Moved the files to a different path (C:\Users\Documents\Cakewalk\Project Templates) with the same results.
Here is an example of the list of files and how Start screen is displaying them. "Surround - 5.1.cwt", "Vocals. - 1.cwt" is not in the Start screen list at all.

cbb-PT1.jpg

Edited by sadicus

Given the exact cutoff at 100, there may be a limit on the number of project templates.

Looking at the number of templates included with X2 on, it appears SONAR Platinum shipped with the most project templates at 30.

My custom folder has 8 templates. Instead of a large collection of project templates, For new projects, I rely on track templates, several "empty projects" and the 8 project templates in my custom folder.

Does the New Project dialog show all 181 templates?

35 minutes ago, scook said:

Given the exact cutoff at 100, there may be a limit on the number of project templates.

To verify a limit on the number of project templates what scook said.

Temporarily delete (move) 81 files or more which is displaying now on New Project section from Project Templates folder. and then see New Project section. Are there Templates which were not displaying before?

I have no idea about not in order...

The sort in the Start Screen may look strange because the files are read unsorted from the OS (apparently limited to the first 100 entries) then sorted alphabetically for display. The sort the Template window in the New Project dialog is alphabetical too. IOW '2' comes before '3' just like 'a' comes before 'b'. So, '24' comes before '3' just like 'apple' comes before 'banana'.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:18 PM, Larry Jones said:

Not sure why CbB looked for templates in a different location than Platinum, but at least no templates were lost

They were moved because CbB has different plugins and the templates with Platinum have different branding. We didn't want to overwrite those

The first thing I did when moving from Sonar to CbB was update my templates. I know there is still compatibility between Sonar and CbB but I prefer creating something as important as Project Templates in the current release, not using old Sonar templates. So I choose not to copy over my old Project Templates from Sonar.

On a personal note: I have about 30 project templates that do almost any job + or - a few track templates to use within these projects to modify them a bit. I cant see how 180 Project templates could be needed. It might be time to thin out the heard.

@Chuck E Baby I agree! Thin the heard, indeed. This is not really a problem, just a curiosity.
On a side note. The year is 2019, computer Hardware and DAW limited to 100?
Although, It' makes sense to limit to 100 for load-time purposes. The Cakewalk DAW is all about customization. For example It's not for me to decide (imagine) how you use the DAW by limiting options.

Imagine: Sometimes looking a various template icons / title choices inspires the next project.

Fortunately one is not limited to this tool for project creation. The 100 image limit may be worth a feature request. I do not agree that customization is ultimate goal. Software is a compromise of a variety of factors, the ability of the user to tailor the software is one of them.

I DO have over 300+ Project templates myself that I've built up over the years, so I know how you could have that many.

I don't use any templates though that I created in Sonar Platinum. Yes they work, but I have found inconstancy's especially in the show/hide track status.

It took me a long time to redo my templates (not all 300) and I use about 30 give or take that I keep loaded, the others are in storage drive D.

Maybe you could figure out a similar arrangement. (keeping your best 50 in the project templates folder in the CakewalkCore folder.

"Sonar Platinum. Yes they work, but I have found inconstancy's especially in the show/hide track status"
Thanks for making that point. I posted an issue on another thread about that.
I like the system your talking about. New Year, Going to build the most used templates from scratch and It's not efficient to store all the templates at startup anyway.
Cakewalk free. Having paid for the Pro lifetime versions It seems a return has been made on the investment. Very glad Bandlab picked up where Gibson (*cough, cough*) did not.

• Like 1