István Máté

Specific use-case scenario

Hi All, I would like to describe my use case, and ask if anyone can help if I can user Cakewalk in this manner.

I have several backingtrack projects, all in Cakewalk, that are using mostly the same patches (VST). These projects are usually played live (through Dante Virtual Soundcard to an Allen&Heath SQ5 mixer equipped with a Dante card) in multichannel mode, so the mixing guy can mute the tracks, where the player is present, and also mix them live with more accuracy. My problem is, that changing between projects takes a considerable amount of time, not to mention the amount of RAM required to host the VST plugins for each project. I tried merging multiple projects into one, my problem here is, that dragging a new project in to the existing one will only paste select features at the cursor (it omits markers, tempo track), so it is a lot of work to reenter them, but doable. [feature requests: have Cakewalk insert everything into the project upon drag-and-drop]

I am currently experimenting with VSTHost hosting all the VST files, then I play back only MIDI data with Cakewalk (since it has multiple MIDI devices support) through loopMIDI. My problem here is, that I have to stop, switch, start each project. [feature request: .cwp playlist]

I am still fitting into 16 MIDI channels, if I use banks/programs, so I can use MPC-HC, VLC, even WMP to play MIDI files, with playlist(!), and except MIDI clock functionality, it works. I even can have Cakewalk act as a VST host only. My problem here is, that I have to configure Cakewalk each time I record or I use it live. I I would very much enjoy using the interface of Cakewalk, as upon recording I find very easy to set my mixing channel levels and leave the Dante sends untouched. [feature request: ability to change hardware profiles with one click or command line]

So I would like to use only Cakewalk with the least amount of extra work upon planning the project setlist.

I almost got it working. Albeit I need an external MIDI loop tool, but as far it is working fairly ok.
I discovered, that saving the project as MIDI Format 1 file will save most (all?) MIDI related data, even markers, so I will keep my projects in .mid files. I then have a main project with all instruments loaded and just play the MIDI file with an external player.
I have 2 minor issues:

- importing a MIDI file to the current project will not import tempo changes (Tempo Track), Meter/Key changes and Markers
- Cakewalk as MIDI slave will not change the tempo upon received tempo changes

Am I missing something or are these bugs in the software?

Importing a MIDI file into an existing project strips some data, by design.

Opening (File > Open) a MIDI file does not strip any data from the file.

Here is how to transfer the data stripped during import

• Open both the project and the MIDI file
  • In the MIDI file
  • Paste into the project

9 minutes ago, scook said:

Importing a MIDI file into an existing project strips some data to avoid overwriting data in the project.

Opening (File > Open) a MIDI file does not strip any data from the file.

Here is how to transfer the data stripped during import

• Open both the project and the MIDI file
  • In the MIDI file
    • "Select All"
    • "Copy Special" and select the events to copy
  • Paste into the project

Extra step, but it works. I did notice, that after import the Undo action is a Undo Paste action, so I presume, that the Import process is also a Copy/Paste process. Would be nice to have the option to choose what to import.

Anyway, thank you for your input!

Not sure if I understand your use case properly but are you aware that you can have multiple projects/files open simultaneously in Cakewalk. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2022 at 1:11 PM, Michael Vogel (MUDGEL) said:

Not sure if I understand your use case properly but are you aware that you can have multiple projects/files open simultaneously in Cakewalk. 

Yes. My issue with that is, that all the projects have the same plugins loaded, with the same samples. Having 16GB or RAM,  2-3 projects quickly exhaust all the memory.

Edited by István Máté