Jump to content
Will.

Weird bug or some setting automatically switched on.

Recommended Posts

Every single time I open a project the last instrument that was used - opens with the project load too. Anyone else experience this, or know what might cause this? 

I have looked everywhere in preferences for a setting like this, can't seem to find any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve noticed something similar lately. As the project loads all the GUI’s for all the plug ins open but then the quickly close. They sort of flash on and off in the last locations I used them. 
I write it of as a screen refresh. Possibly your’s is sticking? . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Vere said:

your’s is sticking? . 

Yes. I have to close mine manually and it is always the last instrument that was used. It doesn't crash the DAW - so, thats a thumbs up, but it is still weird. 

Edited by Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Question? Was that instrument GUI open when you Saved and Closed Cakewalk? Or was it closed?  
Things like Plug in GUI’s are per project and not part of Workspaces. 
So for me if I leave a GUI open then save and close it most certainly will be there when I reopen the project again. 
In my case I never leave them open before closing. That’s why I find it weird that they all flash on and off quickly while the project loads. They seem to retain their placement on the 2 screens as well. 

 

 

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

In my case I never leave them open before closing. 

Never have I ever left a Plugin open saved the project and close the daw. 

As soon as i'm done with sound design in the Plugin - that's when i close it and start tightening up the midi notes in the PRV. It's a habbit of mine to tighten this up after I am completely happy with the sound design process. That instrument wont be opened again - that's a guarantee. 

Maybe a recent windows 10 update? I'm on the 21h2. 

Edited by Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Locked screenset?

Nope! I dont use screensets. I have never touched lenses since i've started using Cakewalk Sonar X1 back in 2009.

Edited by Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a long shot, but.... have you checked if MIDI control is enabled in your Keyboard Bindings?  It could be a MIDI note triggering the "Open Soft Synth on Current Track" command.

Another long shot could be something triggering X-Ray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defiantly a weird one. And this is every project I assume as you said in the OP. 

The reason I asked was you said 

5 hours ago, Will. said:

the last instrument that was used - opens with the project load too

This is what I'm trying to grasp as this implies it is the last GUI you had open and then you closed it. Correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

This is a long shot, but.... have you checked if MIDI control is enabled in your Keyboard Bindings?  It could be a MIDI note triggering the "Open Soft Synth on Current Track" command.

Yes, theres nothing. 

But even if there was one, wouldn't I have to press it to open the GUI of the plugin? Just thinking. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Defiantly a weird one. And this is every project I assume as you said in the OP. 

The reason I asked was you said 

This is what I'm trying to grasp as this implies it is the last GUI you had open and then you closed it. Correct? 

Yep. Every single time. I can close the GUI and do 100 of saving after that with 1000's of editing on other clips and save it without any plugin open. If I close CbB and ipen it the next time BOOM the last instrument that was used opens with the project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is gona have to wait though. I'm catching a 14hour flight to Birmingham England in 2h30 hours. So i'm running through one of my double checks to make sure i had packed everything i need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what's gonna happen, right? Half way through that trip a viable hypothesis will pop into your head, but you won't be able to test it out. Then you'll think about nothing else for the rest of the flight, lest you forget that inspiration. This is why they give you napkins with your soda.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Will. said:

I dont use screensets.

It's not really possible to not use screensets. Some screenset is always active and every change you make to your screen layout is automatically part of whichever screenset is currently active unless you've locked it as Bristol_Jonesey suggested. If you were to lock the screenset while the plugin GUI was open, closing it would only last as long as the session is open, and it would be restored on the next re-open exactly as you describe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, David Baay said:

It's not really possible to not use screensets. Some screenset is always active and every change you make to your screen layout is automatically part of whichever screenset is currently active unless you've locked it as Bristol_Jonesey suggested. If you were to lock the screenset while the plugin GUI was open, closing it would only last as long as the session is open, and it would be restored on the next re-open exactly as you describe.

Interesting.  When I say "I do not use screensets," I mean that I do not use the screensets module to save, restore, switch, etc. as part of my workflow.  But I think I understand what you are saying here.  Even if I don't do anything like that as part of my workflow, correct me if I am wrong: there is still a screenset (can we say "current screenset?") that is being managed by Cakewalk as you have described.

Assuming I understand that correctly, what happens with Workspaces that exclude screenset functionality? My understanding is that the module and shortcuts are not available when using such workspaces, but when a project is saved after the GUI has been changed, does the "current screenset" get saved?   

Just wondering out loud here based on the the above.  I suppose I could do some case testing to figure it out, but if you know it would save some time trying to answer the question.  Depending on what Cakewalk does, I am now thinking there might be some advantages to my workflows  to include screenset functionality.

Thanks for the insights! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have never used Screensets or what was once called Lenses.  But a few years ago when Cakewalk introduced the "Basic" workspace where half the important functions are hidden I quickly dove in and started using Workspaces.

I find them super handy for setting up for different scenarios where I want my screens just so. Example the one I use the most is called Johns which is optimized for recording in track view and has the multidock on my second monitor. It has the Inspector and Browser open as well with things like the Synth rack. 

Then I have one called "One Screen" where the multidock is at the bottom of the main screen when I need my second monitor for opening none Cakewalk folders and stuff like lyrics. 

Then I have one for recording Narration etc. But the thing to understand is that Workspaces are global to all projects. They do not save anything that is Project related like a GUI for a plug in. This is because every project is different in that way. 

But then Screensets are per project.  The default is when you save the project that will be called screenset 1. 

I fail to even see there use anymore other than possibly setting up different track views on large projects. 

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Interesting.  When I say "I do not use screensets," I mean that I do not use the screensets module to save, restore, switch, etc. as part of my workflow.  But I think I understand what you are saying here.  Even if I don't do anything like that as part of my workflow, correct me if I am wrong: there is still a screenset (can we say "current screenset?") that is being managed by Cakewalk as you have described.

Assuming I understand that correctly, what happens with Workspaces that exclude screenset functionality? My understanding is that the module and shortcuts are not available when using such workspaces, but when a project is saved after the GUI has been changed, does the "current screenset" get saved?   

Just wondering out loud here based on the the above.  I suppose I could do some case testing to figure it out, but if you know it would save some time trying to answer the question.  Depending on what Cakewalk does, I am now thinking there might be some advantages to my workflows  to include screenset functionality.

Thanks for the insights! 

Yes, you will always be using Screenset #1 even if you don't actively use them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, David Baay said:

It's not really possible to not use screensets. 

I do not use custom screensets (but) the default one. I have never ever went into that panel NOT ever. So I don't know what you're not getting. 

In order for you are describing to work - the user have to custom save a screenset with the template to work that way.  

In my case: I have always saved a project, even with a Vsti open (in case a crash) do some tweaks here and there - close the GUI and save the project, do a some more tweaks while unconsciously (muscle memory) saving the project. Never ever has it opened the last VSTi that was used with a project load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2022 at 8:25 PM, John Vere said:

But then Screensets are per project.  

Exactly. What ever tweaks you do here re-save the existing project. So everytime you make tweaks to the project it only affects the projects. 

So one would think, when you open the project and do some tweaks to it re-save the previous project, it would not open the last Vsti with the project load, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will. said:

So one would think, when you open the project and do some tweaks to it re-save the previous project, it would not open the last Vsti with the project load,

I don't understand what you mean by "previous project" here. All I know is that locking a screenset with the VSTi GUI open will cause the behavior you're describing, and I'm not sure what else would. I don't use Workspaces, and my description of how screensets work is based on that. There is interaction between Workspaces and Screensets that can get confusing. Possibly that is contributing to your dilemma.  FWIW here's a discussion that covers some of that:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...