Jump to content
Mr. Torture

Continue, or call it a day?

Recommended Posts

I cannot run lower than 256 on the buffers, I have 2 audio tracks going (nothing recorded) just out of my Kemper into the soundcard and one instance of superior drummer. If I try to lower buffers it’s sounds like a bag of angry bee’s when I strum a chord. It’s frustrating, especially when with windows 7 I could run buffers down to 64, have multiple tracks and instance of superior.

the windows 10 was the auto upgrade through Microsoft, is it possible to go there and redo it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds more like an i6 chip. Maybe a 51/2.

Computer viagra? 

*seriously*  If I had another interface I might try that. The Kemper doesn't have a usb out for computers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

its not a windows 10 issue.  Maybe you have to reset things. Go to edit configurations and choose default settings, make sure your onboard soundcard is shut off. (I am assuming you are using an external interface.) Maybe run the audio tweaks for pro audio as windows 10 probably resorted to defaults.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-music-dev/unofficial-windows-10-audio-workstation-build-and-tweak-guide-part-1/

Edited by Michael Fogarty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel core i7-3770k is my processor.

I have experienced a couple blue screen as well. This occurred when I simply left the computer idle with an open session when I went to go do something else. I just shut the computer off and back on again.

the computer came with 16 gigs of ram, upgradable to 32 max. Years after I purchased, once prices came down, I bought 32 gigs (4x8 strips) the computer was still running windows 7 at the time and I had a few issues after that upgrade. I’m really suspecting the Ram, although I ran that ram windows diagnostics and it came back ok.

regardless, for just over a $100 I am going to replace the ram and see if that changes things.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked with Alan Parsons and he says RAM is important! 😁

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like hearing/watching artists i like talking about this kinda stuff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the gist of most of these posts is, don't quit. Take a break, maybe a long break. And whatever you do, don't sell off your gear. When the mood to create strikes, you won't be sorry.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2022 at 8:37 AM, Mr. Torture said:

Intel core i7-3770k is my processor.

I have experienced a couple blue screen as well. This occurred when I simply left the computer idle with an open session when I went to go do something else. I just shut the computer off and back on again.

the computer came with 16 gigs of ram, upgradable to 32 max. Years after I purchased, once prices came down, I bought 32 gigs (4x8 strips) the computer was still running windows 7 at the time and I had a few issues after that upgrade. I’m really suspecting the Ram, although I ran that ram windows diagnostics and it came back ok.

regardless, for just over a $100 I am going to replace the ram and see if that changes things.

 

 

Good luck. You're still in game 👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a good example of writing a song on the fly. @Tim Smith is this, uh, lady, any relation to you? 😁😘😜

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

........................I do have  cousin.

No relation that I am aware of.

It's hard to tell if there is a similarity.

I would need to take away all of that stuff to see who it really is.

The playing wasn't terribly bad, the lyrics OTOH leave something to be desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

The playing wasn't terribly bad, the lyrics OTOH leave something to be desired.

Although slightly better lyrics than my hysterically gruesome "TMI (Gotta Take A Dump)" song.  😲

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll get there man. Sometimes it's a process to get there. You now know what it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, When I installed the Ram I noticed it was really dusty inside the computer, I have not cleaned in there in years Yup, easily 8 years.. Yikes.. Anyways, I opened it back up today and took it outside where I blew it all out with my air compressor, being very careful that no condensation or anything got in there. You would not believe the amount of dust and buildup that came out.

I brought it back in, hooked it back up and opened a previous project. I found that I could easily go to 64 on the buffers with no issues at all, loaded another project with multiple guitar tracks and superior drummer, same 64 buffers and no more crackling. Could it have been dust all along?? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reseating components, including blowing the dust out (which can cause shorting) can sometimes (not sure how often) resolve weird hw issues

good luck, hope this is the winner :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mr. Torture said:

Could it have been dust all along?? 

It could have if it was running way too hot from vents being blocked.

It could also be that a cable was making bad contact and the air jostling things around made it make better contact again.

I used to service office equipment and PC's and lot of times reseating connectors on boards fixed a lot of odd problems.

I recently blew mine out with an air compressor. It appeared clean but a lot of crap came out. It's scary to do but on older systems it's a good idea to clean your cpu and reapply new thermal paste. Same with the video card. 

It's really easy to accidentally fry something or zap your hard drives and have to format them if you don't wear a grounding strap or make sure you discharge yourself by touching something metal that is grounded like a fridge. With plastic Pex plumbing being widely used now touching a faucet may not work anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Torture said:

So, When I installed the Ram I noticed it was really dusty inside the computer, I have not cleaned in there in years Yup, easily 8 years.. Yikes.. Anyways, I opened it back up today and took it outside where I blew it all out with my air compressor, being very careful that no condensation or anything got in there. You would not believe the amount of dust and buildup that came out.

I brought it back in, hooked it back up and opened a previous project. I found that I could easily go to 64 on the buffers with no issues at all, loaded another project with multiple guitar tracks and superior drummer, same 64 buffers and no more crackling. Could it have been dust all along?? 

Yes, dust can be a pain, especially if it finds it's way into the ram slot grooves (aside from shorting out the motherboard). I've had 2 occasions in the past where the computer was playing up, not starting properly or the BSOD and that was due to dust in the ram slots.

You should be able to get much better performance out of your computer than you have been quoting. I still have only a 3rd gen i5 and 8 gigs of ram and I have to look for excuses to upgrade because it runs so well, I don't find any limitations except the GUI of some VSTI's is sometimes slow to load since I put KU13 on.

I can run 40 to 50 tracks and that is all I need but most of my projects are smaller that that, around 20 to 30. 2 instances of addictive drums, 2 instances of Battery 3, about 8 - 15 tracks of Kontakt and other synths and then 10 - 20 for audio.

Your system is more powerful than mine, so you should be able to do better than this. I do have 3 internal SSD's in my system and I know that makes a difference because it didn't run anywhere near as well with one HD, even 2. But the 3 SSD thing really got it going. Also, I have a 6gb dedicated graphics card which has helped me out with low amount of ram.

You say you have "standard hard drives" can I ask what you mean by that. Maybe the hard drive issue is contributing to the problem.

 

 

Edited by Tezza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

reseating components, including blowing the dust out (which can cause shorting) can sometimes (not sure how often) resolve weird hw issues

good luck, hope this is the winner :)

Hah! We posted at the same time and said the same thing.

Another thing that's a good idea is to clean and replace the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU. Over time it breaks down. I'm always terrified to take those back out once they are in and working though. I've never done it but I've read that you should once a PC gets a few years under it's belt. This guy has a really good utoob channel on cleaning PC's.

I'm glad the OP is getting it working well. When all this technology gets in the way it really ruins the creativity. (coughxcough1cough 😜).

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention. Never spin the fans when blowing things out. Spinning them generates a voltage and if spun fast enough can fry your mobo. Hold them still with something that's non-conductive.

I remember from my copier days Canon's were notorious for bad connectors. So bad you had to leave them plugged in and physically take something pointy like a straightened out spring hook or a small jewelers screw driver and push the individual little metal clamps on each wire in the connector through the connector and on to the pins on the PCB's. There were thousands of wires in some of those bigger machines and no way to replace entire harnesses without gutting everything to the frame. It was a nightmare. So glad I don't work on those anymore. Hah.

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dust is why IT guys like me always have canned air handy.  The main way dust kills performance is by clogging the air flow which raises temperatures inside the box.  The computer is designed to automatically throttle performance as things get warmer.

Glad you got that resolved! 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...