Constant crash with TTS general midi plugin

Hugh Blaney

5 minutes ago, In A Week said:

If you don't mind me asking, is there any plans in the future to replace TTS-1 with any other default midi instrument for Cakewalk?

There's a story in our backlog to replace it, but it's been postponed largely down to resources.  I'm not sure what the status is at present.

• Thanks 1

I'd also suggest that if it *did* get replaced, it would have to be available as an option to install it given how long this has been a default synth - a lot of people over the years would be using it because it was just there. Doubling up on 2 of the same synth types wouldn't be high on the to-do list, I suspect.

I do think there's actually some quite usable sounds in there, though, and some have made their way onto commercial releases for me. It's occasionally crossed my mind to quickly make a personal sample set with the useful sounds that can be played with Kontakt or whatever.

HA, I literally got a crash with it just then when I tried to insert it into an existing project. I let the project crash to desktop, opened it up again, inserted TTS-1 again and it's working fine. Very touchy!

For anyone wanting to play with this kind of fire, CTRL-S is your friend. Have a safety net. ;)

Edited by Lord Tim

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 6:16 PM, bdickens said:

Damn. What crawled up your ***** and died?

I know some people still use it.  I just said if it works for you, great. Otherwise its just not worth fighting with.

I don't like wasting time fighting with stuff. My time is extremely limited and therefore extremely valuable to me. I would rather spend it making music than wrestling with problematic software.

Like the ASIO4ALL you are so in love with.  So many people have so many issues with it I can't in good conscience reccomend doing anything but leaving it behind as you get on with your life.  Same with TTS1. Same with 32 bit abandonware plugins.

Look, i get your point, but as some users said, sometimes you need a specific sound that only TTS-1 can deliver. Or GM features... Thats why i disagree here with you ;)

Heck i even use some old 32 Bit Software like Golden Audio Bundle (very good compressors without aliasing issues) or Eiosis E2 Deesser (old version)  witch is still for me the best deesser ever. As long it works, who cares?  No problems here even on my new Laptop with 11th gen Intel CPU. But although some DXi Plugins are causing crashes, im still using them sometimes, if i need exactly that sound. 

This track here is almost entirely produced with TTS-1: 

• Like 1

TTS-1 Piano 1 has always worked well for me in a "busy" rock mix.
Always add a little of the kick from the Standard Set when using EZDrummer to put in a little "umph".
I too have had occasional "issues" adding TTS-1 to existing projects.
Looks like the "fix" is to add TTS-1 to your project template; my thanks to @msmcleodfor that tip.

t