ripple edit

Wayne

Why is ripple edit even necessary?

If I want to delete or add time why not just highlight what I want to cut and hit delete?  There used to be a dialogue box asking what to delete and delete hole too.

It would work on tracks that you highlight.  If you highlight all the tracks it would delete what ever you highlighted.  Now I always have to open another dialogue window to make sure I don't inadvertently wreck something.  

But my point is; What good is this "upgrade"?  What are the advantages besides just making something that used to be pretty easy much more tedious?

edited: for grammer

Edited by Wayne

Didn't SONAR get this feature 5 years ago or so? I know that it's always been there in Cakewalk by BandLab. This is the first I've seen anyone question its need to exist. I do remember a pretty huge clamor (and rightly so) to get a visual indicator of ripple edit status, it seemed like the #1 request at the time, so there must be some people using the feature.

I don't, I'm way more likely to need to add measures (my intro ideas come later), so Insert Time/Measures with all the scoot boxes checked is fine for me. So "don't need it/don't use it" works fine, too. And I expect when I do a plain vanilla delete that it will delete only the events and so forth that I selected while leaving everything else alone (unless I have ripple edit turned on). I would consider it an annoyance to have to answer a dialog about exactly what I wanted to delete each time, if that's how it used to be.

I suspect that it's a commonly seen feature in other programs, and people making the switch wanted to be able to use it in Cakewalk. Sometimes you don't know that a feature is "missing" unless you're used to it from another program, where you may be using it all the time.

4 years on I still miss the full-length tails on markers that Mixcraft (and Studio One) has, but I would REALLY miss quick grouping and the ability to hide lanes if I had to switch back to Mixcraft.

• Like 2

To answer the original post: Is ripple edit necessary? Not at all.

That doesn't mean it's not a very useful feature for some users' workflows. So is the Matrix View. I don't use either feature. Come to think of it, the list of features I don't use is pretty extensive. Somebody else likely considers each of them essential.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 11:06 PM, Wayne said:

or slide over existing material to make room.

I think you are mis-remembering in this particular case; Slide Over to Make room has not worked correctly for well over a decade if it ever did; down-stream clips that didn't need to move would move and would move to the right even when you were dragging something to the left.

Ripple Edit addressed this and many other case where Add Measures, Delete Hole and related actions would not deliver expected results. For the most part, the old ways still work (or still don't work) as they used to when Ripple Edit is disabled.

• Like 1