Updated my DAW.

Shane_B.

GPU prices are starting to come down so I decided to put a video card in my old i7 6700K DAW. I had to upgrade the PSU and I decided to put some more RAM in it.

I didn't see any difference when I put the RAM in but when I changed the PSU it made a significant difference. I don't know if the old PSU was too small (550W) or if it was the fact that I cleaned everything and reseated all the connectors, but it boots almost instantly again and everything loads incredible fast like it did when I first built it. I got an RTX 3060 video card and man it is incredible. I hooked up my inexpensive LG TV and it's running at 60Hz in 4K and 120Hz in 1080p. It blows my mind considering that actual PC monitors this size cost 3 times more than this thing at those refresh rates.

I also downloaded a bios tweaking utility from Intel figuring I would have to take my BIOS settings out of DAW mode. The utility allows you to create BIOS profiles and you can change all your settings with just one click of a saved profile and a quick reboot. I tried a little bit of gaming with all the DAW settings and it's screaming fast. I didn't have to change anything. I can just leave it in DAW mode. Everything has stock fans for cooling and so far they haven't moved off idle. I can't even hear it running just like it was before I put the 3060 in. I got the GOG version of Fallout 3 and I'm running it set to Ultra settings with the highest resolution it supports which I think is 2K. I don't have software that tells me what the FPS is but it has to be near 100. It's smooth as glass on this cheap LG TV. It blows my mind.

So now I just have to milk this system a few more years until I'm forced in to Windows 11. Then it's getting repurposed as a NAS server. I already have an i5 650 I'm going to set the server up with then transfer the hardware to the i7 when the time comes. The GPU is a PCI 4.0 card but my mobo is only PCI 3. I've read that unless you are really pushing the limits of the GPU to the max that you won't even see a difference. I can't imagine how this could look or feel any better.

I found the exact part number for the RAM I currently have but I could only find 32GB sets so I'm up to 48GB of Kingston DDR4 now and I put in a 650 Watt modular PSU. All turbo settings off in BIOS so the RAM and CPU are running at stable stock speeds.

The DAW side of it hasn't improved but I didn't expect it to. I've done some video rendering tests and it's lightning fast compared to how it was. I'm very happy with how this turned out and I got in to PC gaming and video editing again for not much more than the cost of a new game console. I can't complain about that at all. I ordered a monitor thinking the TV wouldn't work but it's going back because this TV is working flawlessly so I saved even more money there. I can't say how a newer game running in true 4K would work, but considering the TV is running at the same rate as the monitor I bought and it has excellent reviews, I think I'll be ok. I'm not really in to anything new anyway. I just like the old Fallout series games.

I'm actually streaming 8K video's on Youtube flawlessly with this thing.  All this technology stuff blows my mind. I can't imagine what we'll have at our disposal 10 ~ 15 years from now.

👍🏻

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, craigb said:

Hehe... "8k video!"  Hehe...

I know. Makes you wonder where this is all going to go. I can see a difference between some 1080p and 4K movies but I attribute that to the compression they use for 1080p. All these super duper Bluray's in stunning 1080p HD ... they're all compressed. If you had the original 1080p uncompressed file I'd bet almost anything you couldn't tell it from a 4K file. That's why some streaming movies look better than the actual discs. They are streaming from a better source with better compression.

I downloaded a program to show the FPS while I'm running Fallout 3. It's steady at 60FPS which is all the TV is capable of doing. That's plenty for this type of game and it looks fantastic.

Seeing how we're running on 60Hz AC, I wonder how you can truly have anything above that? I know you can increase voltage but I'm not sure how that works with Hz. IOW, is it all marketing scams and gimmicks? I've read that no matter what TV's can only do 120Hz native. Anything above that is artificially achieved.

At any rate, my DAW is screaming fast, everything works (knock on wood), and I'm happy. Spring will be here soon and it will all go in the basement anyway so I better go enjoy it while I can. LOL!

25 minutes ago, craigb said:

There's a good bit of evidence floating around that, except in the case of a HUGE stadium screen, humans can't see the difference between 4k and 8k.  Yet they're coming out with TV's, videos and, even worse, video games in 8k!  Go figure!

The 8k format allows for larger screens with clearer definition. I’ve got a 4k 86” in the media room. I can’t imagine getting anything larger. And it’s crystal clear when we go to high def streaming at 4k. you can see the hair detail on a horse in the far background. But the regional tv stations and direct TV are still at 1080i. Which absolutely sucks in quick scenery pans or in action scenes. Interlaced video was ok at 720i but sucks at 1080i. Then display that on 4k (shudder). The jerky jerky 1080i is enough to give me motion sickness  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craigb said:

There's a good bit of evidence floating around that, except in the case of a HUGE stadium screen, humans can't see the difference between 4k and 8k.  Yet they're coming out with TV's, videos and, even worse, video games in 8k!  Go figure!

I thought I read that about 1080p and 4K. I was truly shocked when I found out that 1080p Bluray's are compressed. I always thought the selling point to everyone about going from DVD to Bluray was it was uncompressed and the best quality you could get. Not true.

1 hour ago, Doc H said:

The 8k format allows for larger screens with clearer definition. I’ve got a 4k 86” in the media room. I can’t imagine getting anything larger. And it’s crystal clear when we go to high def streaming at 4k. you can see the hair detail on a horse in the far background. But the regional tv stations and direct TV are still at 1080i. Which absolutely sucks in quick scenery pans or in action scenes. Interlaced video was ok at 720i but sucks at 1080i. Then display that on 4k (shudder). The jerky jerky 1080i is enough to give me motion sickness 

I can't imagine a screen that big and still being smooth. Thankfully the prices are coming down. I'm convinced all screens are the same and they throttle their ability via software to create certain price points. There was actually a big scandal about the inner panels one time years ago but I can't recall the details of it all.

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Seeing how we're running on 60Hz AC, I wonder how you can truly have anything above that? I know you can increase voltage but I'm not sure how that works with Hz. IOW, is it all marketing scams and gimmicks? I've read that no matter what TV's can only do 120Hz native. Anything above that is artificially achieved.

In CRT's with analog circuits the mains frequency could be directly used to drive the direction of the cathode ray in a purely analog fashion. The ray generator itself would operate on tens of kilovolts. You don't run mains voltage into an LCD/LED display, it's all solid-state. What you get from mains is the [P]ower to the power supply for the digital circuitry.

I don't know where the claims about upper limits of progressive display refresh come from, but 120Hz seems awfully arbitrary to be based in physics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sarine said:

I don't know where the claims about upper limits of progressive display refresh come from, but 120Hz seems awfully arbitrary to be based in physics.

I was trying to find where I read that they can't achieve anything over 120Hz and what I found was it's the cost, not the ability to do it. Maybe at one time they couldn't but apparently it can be done now but it raises the cost significantly and has no benefit. Gaming is different because of the way the video is processed, but playing back a video file be it from disc or streaming benefits very little over 60Hz from what I've read.

I've been tinkering with this cheap TV here and it's amazing how clear and responsive it is. It's native 4K@60Hz when connected to my PC and it's working great for what I'm doing. 👍🏻

21 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I ordered a monitor thinking the TV wouldn't work but it's going back because this TV is working flawlessly so I saved even more money there.

Just for the heck of it I hooked up the monitor I got. The TV actually works better. The colors aren't as vivid, but performance wise it's far better. And this is a really good IPS 4K monitor. Strange how that all works isn't it. The monitor is a 28" full 4K HDR gaming monitor with G-Sync and the TV is a cheap crappy Vizio 43" smart (ish) TV and it actually works better. Doesn't look quite as nice, but it performs significantly better.

Funny how all this stuff works isn't it.

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Just for the heck of it I hooked up the monitor I got. The TV actually works better. The colors aren't as vivid, but performance wise it's far better. And this is a really good IPS 4K monitor. Strange how that all works isn't it. The monitor is a 28" full 4K HDR gaming monitor with G-Sync and the TV is a cheap crappy Vizio 43" smart (ish) TV and it actually works better. Doesn't look quite as nice, but it performs significantly better.

Funny how all this stuff works isn't it.

Yes!  Strange, yet funny!  😁 

(Note that the 40" 4K Samsung TV I use as my monitor is also HDR which might be why it does look nice!)

2 hours ago, craigb said:

(Note that the 40" 4K Samsung TV I use as my monitor is also HDR which might be why it does look nice!)

Here is the video I use to confirm whether or not I'm actually in HDR mode. If you are actually in HDR mode the Settings button where you change the video resolution will display the letters "HDR" over the top of the Settings icon on the bottom bar of the youtube video. Not all video's are uploaded in HDR though so it won't always say that even if you are set up correctly, that's why I always check with this video when I'm changing things around.

My TV will also put up an icon on the screen for a few seconds that says HDR10 as well but my older one won't. This cheap little Vizio looks amazing in true 4K HDR but everything else that is only HD or less is all washed out.

There is a setting in Windows 10 where you have to enable HDR capability. Right click on the Desktop and go to "Display settings". While swapping monitors it somehow got turned off and when I hooked the Vizio back up it wouldn't work in HDR mode until I turned that back on. 👍🏻