MIDI tracks & CAL scripts

Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. I've got some drum parts that are all contained in one region that I want to separate to individual tracks so I can process and effect them individually. I use the CAL script "split-note-to-tracks" and it works okay, but the tracks it puts the midi parts in are MIDI tracks (I think) which don't allow me to add FX and don't have the ProChannel or sends. I guess I rarely use MIDI tracks, they're usually Soft Synth or something, so I'm not sure how to do this. Do I need to record the midi parts to audio to process them?

What you need is separate audio outs from the drum plug-in. This works with one or more MIDI tracks. However, some drum plug-ins have only one stereo out.

If the drum plug-in is stereo only, you can use "Split Notes To Tracks.CAL" to break out the MIDI data into separate tracks and use each track to drive different instances of the drum plug-in. You will need also need extra audio tracks for each install of the drum plug-in.

It is also possible to leave all the MIDI in one track and use a drum map to point to multiple plug-ins. It will still be necessary to have an audio per plug-in.

• Like 1

SessionDrummer has 12 stereo outputs.

The outputs are at the bottom of each channel in the mixer.

Set the channels as desired and add audio tracks for each of the audio outs used by the plug-in.

Open the plug-in use and use F1 to bring up the help.

Maybe this video will help too. I've queued it up to the mixer page part. 

29 minutes ago, John Vere said:

When you insert an instrument there is an option to choose to use all available outputs in either stereo or mono.  You have to do it then, not afterwards. 

It is easier to add the tracks when adding the plug-in but not necessary.

Additional audio and MIDI tracks may be added at any time and pointed to a synth.

7 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Try to take an existing instrument track with one stereo output and change it to multiple stereo outputs. I’m unaware of a way that can be done. ?  If there is it must be complicated. 

It is as easy as this video shows:

• add an audio track
  • set the track input
  • set the output in the synth

Clk2MDc.gif

BTW, it does not matter if the synth output change or the audio track is done first.

@scook    That's one way I never would have figured out. Excellent. 

But guess what?  I did find a way too. Append instrument track.

There was a thread the other day and the OP was having trouble using append instrument track, I had never heard of this feature. So if you choose Append Instrument track with the instrument in focus it creates a new instrument track. I had to change the channels but it gave me 2 outputs for the TTS_1. I then inserted using Append again and the 3rd instrument track automatically was set to Channel 3.  So that's pretty easy.  

8 minutes ago, John Vere said:

But guess what?  I did find a way too. Append instrument track.

Yeah append instrument is a relatively new function.

Of course the extra MIDI track in the appended instrument track is not necessary if all the MIDI data is in the original instrument track.