SONAR X3 owner, is the server available for downloads and serial# ?

Chris X

Question

Is there a way to access the old cakewalk server for downloads and validation?

I try to login, it finds my username, but password does not work.  Request new password, and nothing is sent to me.   I need to login so I can access my serial# to install Sonar X3.

I know this is a Bandlab forum, but perhaps someone knows.

13 answers to this question

Yes, contact support@cakewalk.com (the current support for Cakewalk by BandLab) for password reset as long as you created an SSO account as described here https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021858293-What-happened-to-Cakewalk-SONAR-What-happens-to-everything-I-paid-for-

The old Cakewalk company email server was shut down when the company went out of business. That is why the password reset emails are not sent.

This is actually still the old Cakewalk/ Sonar forum. It got moved and re branded when Bandlab took over. Many here like me still have Splat installed as to get the add ins that came with it.
There’s not much point using an old version anymore you but the stuff that came with Sonar is not available to new users of the latest Cakewalk. 
So once you get your access to your account make sure to download and make backups of it as well as copy all the serial numbers to a word document. 
X3 is my treasured copy because it was the last one made for true offline install and activation. 
I hope that never happens because I depend on the better features that Cakewalk now has. 

Finally got into my account.  I have an X3 ser# and registration.  But for Platinum, I only have a ser# (no registration code.)  I dont know if this will allow me to install it.

My goal is to get all the plugins and addons from those versions, but migh install X3 for posterity.  What you said is interesting, that X3 was the last true offline install.  Does this mean that Platinum is somehow crippled or non funtional because servers are down?  Or did you mean that Platinum and Bandlab Cakewalk still both require server checks to use, which means you need an internet connection?

If that is the case, I will absolutely install X3.  Has there been significant development since Bandlab aquisition, or am I getting everything important with X3?

Edited by Chris X

There have been Zillion bug fixesThere are a dozen or more excellent features added. The program is identical otherwise so there’s a very small learning curve. Just download and install it and try it out Each version is its own install and you can have them side by side. 
Platinum uses The Command Center or CCC to download and activate. The CCC should be in your my product folders when you log on. Download and install. Then run it. That will give you all your goodies. 

The server is still working but if it is shut down then that’s the end of Splat and all those goodies. 

So to me only a fool would not have all of that downloaded and stored in a safe place. There’s well over $1,000 worth of software sitting there in my case. 

We are told it is best to install the older versions first and CbC last. 

Good luck. 

CCC Download does not appear to work.  Clicking the download link does absolutely nothing.

It appears that I can individually download and install products by following the links.  Perhaps double check if CCC is still working for you?

Regarding the "extras" does Platinum have any extra plugins/addons that X3 does not?  In which case I will just install X3 and the Bandlab version.

20 minutes ago, scook said:

Yes, the Cakewalk Command Center link still works.

Make sure you are logged in to your account.

Platinum not only has plug-ins not in X3, some of the plug-ins have bug fixes.

Compare the X3 and Platinum documentation plug-in sections to see the difference.

I am logged in and cannot download CCC.  Chrome is not allowing me to download it.. Unsafe.

GOt it...

Edited by Chris X

Here is a silly question...

I installed Platinum after installing X3.  It is in demo mode, with the apparent limitation of not allowing saves.  Does this mean I can't use it?   

More importantly, can I use any of the addons/content installed with it?  (For instance the "Studio Mixing FX Suite" ) How would I go about using them within Bandlab?

Edited by Chris X

If you have a license for Platinum it should automatically get activated when installing using the Command Center.

If you have a license and did not activate using the Command Center follow the manual activation steps here

All content and plug-ins installed with any 64bit version of a Cakewalk DAW may be used with CbB.

VST plug-ins must be in the VST scan path.

DX plug-ins must be registered with regsvr32.exe (this is normally done by the installer).

9 hours ago, scook said:

If you have a license for Platinum it should automatically get activated when installing using the Command Center.

If you have a license and did not activate using the Command Center follow the manual activation steps here

All content and plug-ins installed with any 64bit version of a Cakewalk DAW may be used with CbB.

VST plug-ins must be in the VST scan path.

DX plug-ins must be registered with regsvr32.exe (this is normally done by the installer).

I dont believe I have a license for Platinum, only a serial number.  I don't know why this is in my account, perhaps I installed it for a free trial.  I never did the monthly sub for Platinum and stayed with X3.

My question is, having installed Platinum, do I have access to its "stuff" in CBB?  Or should I just direct CCC to uninstall the lot of it?

Edited by Chris X

Splat only had a serial number. This was the change from X3. Prior to Splat you used the serial to run the install and then activate with the second number provided. 

With Splat the activation was automatically done but you need to be on line .  Look in Help for Activate .
Note the off line activation no longer is available as that server is read only now.  

Been a long time so I forget why you used to get demo mode  That would not bother me because I see no point in using it anyway . Why use a buggy outdated version when there’s a much improvement version that works with out fuss ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Splat only had a serial number. This was the change from X3. Prior to Splat you used the serial to run the install and then activate with the second number provided. 

With Splat the activation was automatically done but you need to be on line .  Look in Help for Activate .
Note the off line activation no longer is available as that server is read only now.  

Been a long time so I forget why you used to get demo mode  That would not bother me because I see no point in using it anyway . Why use a buggy outdated version when there’s a much improvement version that works with out fuss ? 

Ok, good news.  But do I have to do anything special in CBB to access the paid content from Platinum?

In X3 I got Melodyne, AD2, a few soft synths, and many plugins.  Does Platinum have any additional paid content?

IOW, I'm trying to decide if I should keep Platinum installed.  Was there any additional paid content added in Platinum that was not in X3?  Obviously the Platinum core app added new features (that are in CBB now).