How to Copy and Paste Clip Automation

Bill Phillips

Question

Without drawing two identical envelopes can I copy the clip gain envelope from one clip and paste it into another clip? I recall seeing that discussed here before but can't come up with a search string that finds it. I want to apply the same clip automation to two vocal tracks (one vocal, two mics). The clips all have an absolute time base. Things that haven't worked:

• I've tried copy and paste special but to copy or paste the envelope I must include the clip.
  • I've copied and pasted the clip + envelope and deleted the clip but deleting the clip deletes the automation. What happens here is I get two takes, the original clip plus the pasted clip with an automation envelope.
  • I've looked at assign and copy and assign the envelope but that only works on the clip with the automation and he only assign choice is pan.

Edited by Bill Phillips

8 answers to this question

Hi

Try this: copy the track/clip - it should be copied with the automation. Then grab the end of the clip and just drag it to the right a few bars (just roll not stretch) where there is no more automation dots or lines. Then grab the beginning ot that clip and also drag (roll)  it right till you  drag it out from under the automation envelope.  You should now have a naked automation line without the clip left in the track and next to it on the right a piece of clip with no audio and no automation on it. Then delete that piece of clip- and there you are  :) left with only automation. Write if it worked for you. 

My music on Bandcamp:

https://wojciechstecyszyn.bandcamp.com/track/a-go-go-instrumental-jam

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

Hi

Try this: copy the track/clip - it should be copied with the automation. Then grab the end of the clip and just drag it to the right a few bars (just roll not stretch) where there is no more automation dots or lines. Then grab the beginning ot that clip and also drag (roll)  it right till you  drag it out from under the automation envelope.  You should now have a naked automation line without the clip left in the track and next to it on the right a piece of clip with no audio and no automation on it. Then delete that piece of clip- and there you are   left with only automation. Write if it worked for you. 

My music on Bandcamp:

Edited 4 minutes ago by Wojtek Stecyszyn

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Hi

Try this: copy the track/clip - it should be copied with the automation. Then grab the end of the clip and just drag it to the right a few bars (just roll not stretch) where there is no more automation dots or lines. Then grab the beginning ot that clip and also drag (roll)  it right till you  drag it out from under the automation envelope.  You should now have a naked automation line without the clip left in the track and next to it on the right a piece of clip with no audio and no automation on it. Then delete that piece of clip- and there you are   left with only automation. Write if it worked for you. 

My music on Bandcamp:

Edited 4 minutes ago by Wojtek Stecyszyn

Thanks. Doesn't work. The clip automation goes with the clip when I drag the clip.

8 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

The track envelopes can be copied and pasted in another track too. Not so for clip envelopes.

Yep.  Would be cool if we could have same freedom with clip envelopes.

Just wanna add that my trick with removing clip from under the track envelopes is useful in a situation when you copied a track (or clip) and you want to delete the clip but leave all its automation .  Its just other way to select all envelopes and copy to a new track.