When trying to save a project I get GENERAL ERROR which stops me from saving, no detail

General Error when saving ... 

Yes, I can resolve it by playing the project for a few seconds, then Save is successful, every time.

I'm just tired of this bug, I've been seeing it for years, on different projects, versions of Cakewalk, versions of Windows, PC's, hard drives. 

It usually happens on older projects, and then maybe 1 out of 5 times when I Save projects that are prone to it. 

I've never had it happen on any other app except Cakewalk.  Obviously I'm not the only one, why is it still an issue after all these years? If Cakewalk generates this error, couldn't the error somehow be modified to capture some internal detail in order to better troubleshoot it? 

2 hours ago, Jim Stamper said:

1 out of 5 times when I Save projects that are prone to it. 

You definitely need to submit such a project to the Bakers for investigation with details about how your machine is configured with regard to file storage and audio hardware/drivers, and what your workflow is like. I have only encountered this error a handful of times in decades with Cakewalk and never more than once with any given project that I can recall - literally years between occurrences.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Thanks David

I have a pretty extensive background in PC hardware & software support and troubleshooting. I don't think the Bakers would be able to identify the problem without sitting at my exact PC. Because as mentioned, this has happened to me for years on different PCs & configurations & projects.

I run only mainstream plug-ins, I keep everything up to date and as "standard" as possible, all of my software and hardware is new within 2 years. It's hard for me personally to believe it's a rare problem, although I'm sure not everyone has encountered it.

Also it's possible it would take a tremendous amount of time for both me and the Bakers to work through it to a resolution. I don't want to go down that particular 'rabbit hole'.

My suggestion is that an error message of "General Error" provides no clue on what might be happening or where to look for failure points.  It's hardly more helpful than "catastrophic failure".  Or those times when Cakewalk just stops running and exits to your desktop without warning - another problem some of us have seen on occasion.

My hope is that the software could be improved to capture and report more detail about problems like this.