Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zaquria

Snap To Grid Options and Settings.

Recommended Posts

Would it be possible for the 'Snap to Grid' Options and Settings to be Global, rather than at a Project level please?

I just want to be able to set these options once, and use my specfic settings for every Project.

Having to reset these settings for each individual Project gets tedious after a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you've set it once, save it as a Project Template and use that template as a starting point for every project.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Once you've set it once, save it as a Project Template and use that template as a starting point for every project.

I've always thought that's somewhat of a workaround. It should be Global for the DAW IMHO, not a per project setting...surely ?

Once I've set my own Preferences in any App my expectation is that they persist until I change my mind. Who would want different snap settings for each  Project ?    Other Preference and Customization settings are not changed by the Project so it's odd to me that Snap To Grid is. And a pain.     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not want snap to be global!  I may be editing MIDI clips glued to measures in one and editing audio, where snap needs to be off, in another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I've always thought that's somewhat of a workaround. It should be Global for the DAW IMHO, not a per project setting...surely ?

Once I've set my own Preferences in any App my expectation is that they persist until I change my mind. Who would want different snap settings for each  Project ?    Other Preference and Customization settings are not changed by the Project so it's odd to me that Snap To Grid is. And a pain.     

Many users (including myself) change snap settings constantly throughout the lifetime of a project depending on the operation.  I find the notion of a fixed snap setting for duration of a project strange, never mind it being global for all projects.

If I'd set a snap setting for a particular task in a project, I'd expect it to be the same when I reloaded the project.  If I loaded a different project, I'd expect to be as I left it as it was in that project.

But in any case, this is exactly the type of thing project templates are used for.


 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2021 at 12:48 AM, msmcleod said:

Once you've set it once, save it as a Project Template and use that template as a starting point for every project.

I have 100's of different projects and this will not help me.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Many users (including myself) change snap settings constantly throughout the lifetime of a project depending on the operation.  I find the notion of a fixed snap setting for duration of a project strange, never mind it being global for all projects.

If I'd set a snap setting for a particular task in a project, I'd expect it to be the same when I reloaded the project.  If I loaded a different project, I'd expect to be as I left it as it was in that project.

But in any case, this is exactly the type of thing project templates are used for.

While this works for you, it doesn't work for me. I work with the same snap settings (Set and forget) for all my projects and having to set them all the time is becoming a royal pain in the *****.

Can't there be a global settings, and a override or remember state in the projects settings for people like youself?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

I do not want snap to be global!  I may be editing MIDI clips glued to measures in one and editing audio, where snap needs to be off, in another.

Which is wonderful for people like yourself. But for people like myself, I have to continually reset/redo to the same settings for different projects. It really gets old after a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Templates are awesome. I have one where the snap to grid is set for a "Global" setting / and / one other that's not. 

Like @msmcleod said: Different projects requires and mean different snap to grid settings - especially when a client has drawn in some envelope nodes already. It's always best to leave things the way they want it, often times you'll hear them say "NO" to global settings after you've send them the final project - even if they agree on "global settings" when discussing the project with them. 

What would've been great is the ability to copy all effects from one template to other in one-go. Maybe I'll create a request this right now. 

I guess your feature wouldn't hurt to be added in. I don't think it's a meaningless request, but I'd still prefer the template versions to avoid all complications that will/might come with that. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

  I may be editing MIDI clips glued to measures in one and editing audio, where snap needs to be off, in another.

Yeah, you just turn it on the control bar and then turn it on again or change resolution in  the track or PRV setting ...that's normal

image.png.aaed9e0c99b80a73c604ab060c681ac4.png

 

 What I don't find normal is Snap Intensity re-setting itself every time I start a new Project . It should be a Global Preference that's fixed without the need to make my own templates. I've used CW since it just used to have blobs on the track view to show midi data..probably in the mid 90's over thousands of projects and I have never ever ever wanted the way the snap intensity works FOR ME  to be anything other than extreme. Ever.  It's either on or it's off and I want it left that way for every project I do .

image.png.55d223b896ec659f8664a929b490c806.png

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Many users (including myself) change snap settings constantly throughout the lifetime of a project depending on the operation.  I find the notion of a fixed snap setting for duration of a project strange, never mind it being global for all projects.

The snap values can be changed easily on the control bar during the Project . What we are talking about here is the way the Snap Intensity behaves.

Many people expect this to be constant without needing to workaround with Templates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Yeah, you just turn it on the control bar and then turn it on again or change resolution in  the track or PRV setting ...that's normal

image.png.aaed9e0c99b80a73c604ab060c681ac4.png

 

 What I don't find normal is Snap Intensity re-setting itself every time I start a new Project . It should be a Global Preference that's fixed without the need to make my own templates. I've used CW since it just used to have blobs on the track view to show midi data..probably in the mid 90's over thousands of projects and I have never ever ever wanted the way the snap intensity works FOR ME  to be anything other than extreme. Ever.  It's either on or it's off and I want it left that way for every project I do .

image.png.55d223b896ec659f8664a929b490c806.png

Intensity I can see why you'd want to be global.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Yeah, you just turn it on the control bar and then turn it on again or change resolution in  the track or PRV setting ...that's normal

image.png.aaed9e0c99b80a73c604ab060c681ac4.png

 

 What I don't find normal is Snap Intensity re-setting itself every time I start a new Project . It should be a Global Preference that's fixed without the need to make my own templates. I've used CW since it just used to have blobs on the track view to show midi data..probably in the mid 90's over thousands of projects and I have never ever ever wanted the way the snap intensity works FOR ME  to be anything other than extreme. Ever.  It's either on or it's off and I want it left that way for every project I do .

image.png.55d223b896ec659f8664a929b490c806.png

^This right on the button.

Having to continually tick every one of these boxes every time I load a project is an annoyance. These should be global settings.

 

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi🙂

You could make a Autohotkey Shortcut to turn all On or Off what you want with a single Shortcut.

(If it is possible with TAB and Space to turn things on)

Different Hotkeys for different purposes or just one for always the same.

I could make some when I am in Studio tomorrow morning(Germany)

Greetz😉

Bassman.

 

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, zaquria said:

^This right on the button.

Having to continually tick every one of these boxes every time I load a project is an annoyance. These should be global settings.

 

Yes...should 100% be a " set and forget " option

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...