Latency Issue

Jussi Salli

Hi!

Anyone else having problems eliminating latency? 

My Buffer Size is 128 samples, and my ASIO Reported Latency Total Roundtrip is 568 samples. 

In the Record Latency Adjustment I have "Use ASIO Reported Latency"- box checked which is obviously the same

as my Total Roundtrip: 568 samples. 

This causes a weird scenario: (I'm recording with Grid on), the recording doesn't start until it is delayed by 568 samples. After recording

I have to move it manually back to Grid, and ta-daa; latency eliminated. But I have a feeling you're not supposed to do it like that. Does anyone know

what I'm doing wrong?

This is the first time I've written to any forum on the internet, feel free to guide me if I'm doing something wrong in that too.

Some audio interfaces report their latency accurately... others don't.

Take a short high-transient audio spike... and put it on a track in CbB.

Re-record this high-transient audio spike on a second track (via an analog input on your audio interface).

Zoom-in and measure the difference (in samples) between the two.

This is the amount of "Record Offset" (in samples).

Preferences>Audio>Sync And Caching>Record Latency Adjustment:

Enter the "Record Offset" in the Manual Offset field.

Repeat the high-transient spike test used above... and verify there's no offset between the two. 

Thank you for your help! I did like you asked (isn't that called a loopback test?)

but the problem persists. :S

Could it be possible that the Record Latency Adjustment isn't working properly? 

If I record with the ASIO Reported Latency there is empty space before the recording starts, (it doesn't

start to record from the beginning) and I still need to move the recording back to grid to it's correct position. 

...and the same goes for the manual record offset. If there is something else than 0 samples it doesn't

start to record where it's supposed to start (and I need to move the recorded blocks around).

Edited by Jussi Salli

On 4/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, Jussi Salli said:

There are tutorials online on loopback tests for other DAW's but yet I couldn't find one for Cakewalk.

Jim laid out the basics for the test.

SCook sent you to my thread were the link to build 147 is in Noel's post on page 2.

Build 144 does not sync properly, You MUST update to Build 147, evidently there's a few other "fixes" going
on so 147 is not the "official" version yet.

I'm pretty confident your Scarlett will sync up fine once you update to build 147.

tom

I made a tutorial on loopback testing. It's in our Tutorial sub forum. It's just not called loopback testing. But in the middle I show how to do it in Cakewalk. 

Focusrite drivers are always spot on, but the last release of Cakewalk had a timing issue they jumped on it and fixed it with build 147. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1