Boom Vst

Glenn Ward

Hi having issues installing Boom vst (which is an AVID product). Once installed oit doesnt appear as a .dll file, its a .big file and  it doesn't appear as an available soft synth.  I figure I cant find the right destination folder to for the plug in manager to find it?  Is there something obvious i am not doing.

thanks in advance 

Edited by Glenn Ward

You will find the file Boom_x64.dll wherever you chose to install it (there is to my knowledge no VST3 version available). So my best advice would be for you to search for that file  on your drive(s) and once found make sure that the path is included in Edit > Preferences > File > VST Settings | VST Scan Paths. If it's an old 32-bit plug-in, the file name will be something different.

As a side note, the boom.big file is most likely only a container for the samples. Also, Boom is no longer an Avid product but owned by AIR Music Technology.

FYI, I installed a trial version of AIR Music's Boom last November and used the installer's default location. Maybe yours is in the same place?  Mine is at C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins for the x64 version (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins). 

Edited by User 905133
trail -> trial

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I have the same problem. I previously had Pro Tools and used Air Boom in it, and now I'm using Cakewalk. When I put the path in CW for it to recognize the Air Boom plugin, it just doesn't. I installed Air Boom in C:/Program files/Cakewalk/VstPlugins, but CW doesn't find it there. Maybe it needs to have a .dll file? I only see Air Boom.big. 

The .big file is likely an archive that contains multiple files, similar to  a .zip file. The plugin's installer should have extracted the files from it. Maybe it did, but put them in an unexpected place. Or maybe the installer failed due to some problem, e.g. Windows permission issue or missing dependency. I'd start with a global search for the dll to make sure it's not been just dropped somewhere unexpected.

• Like 1

I have multiple AIR products and yes, the .big file is their sample container. It doesn't get unpacked during installation (or ever, the instrument just reads from it directly).

My guess is that with the Pro Tools installer, it only installs the AAX version. These folks mentioning Pro Tools and Avid lead me to believe that this might be the cause of their problems.

Unless there is some way to choose to install the VST version, you may not be able to install it from the installer you got from Avid. I don't know what their policies are regarding bundled software, but you may be able to use your licenses if you just download newer installers from AIR/InMusic. I would try using the newest installers and see if they recognize the licenses on your iLok.

• Like 1