Computer overload

LNovik@aol.com

Question

I have a 1 year old, pretty good PC, with decent RAM. However, it seems that whenever I  do a project, I invariably reach that threshold where things seems to block up. For instance, I  tried recording some  simple  keyboard chords yesterday onto a MIDI track, and even that was causing a disjointed  sound on the rest of my tracks. My question: what types of things can lighten the load for my computer, esp when recording, so that I'm not taxing it as much. I tried disabling some of the effects, though I'm  not sure  when I simply turn them off, rather than deleting them, if it really DOES free up space.  I guess on the couple of tracks which I have an effect on ( as opposed to the 3  that I have on the BUS), I could try to  just record the  song with the effects and then delete the effects.  NOt even sure, for the latter, if  I  could just hit the "bounce to clips" item on my audio track to effect this change, or if I would have to re-record it onto  a fresh  audio track before I was able to get rid of that one FX. 

Lastly, what if I were to  "archive" certain tracks for the time being. Would that make things less taxing?

Thanks for your time and attention.

LNovik

6 answers to this question

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon  

Run that to see if your system is the cause of trouble. 

Generally any modern PC can handle normal very busy projects. 

I run 16 tracks of audio loaded with effects,  and 5 VST instruments on a 2008 Sony laptop with 4 GB ram. But it does have a SSD drive that is only 1/2 full. Make sure you have room on your HD. 

Doesn't matter, every computer is different, generally Laptops come with problematic BIOS due to battery management systems. Desktops are generally better. Just google optimizing a PC for Audio. It mostly involves getting rid of apps that cause DPC latency issues. 

But!  did you run the Latency Monitor? This will tell you what those apps are. 

We're telling you what is the standard first step in trouble shooting.

The ball is in your court.

Edited by John Vere