Jump to content
  • 0
Stewart Cormack

Cakewalk acting up again (big surprise)

Question

When I record a new audio track it also picks up everything I've previously recorded as well. So not only is it recording what I'm currently doing it's also recording every other track I've made in that project. Even worse still, you can barely hear what I'm playing because it gets drowned out by the previously recorded tracks. How do I fix it so it only records what I'm doing? Not looking for a massive discussion that lasts days just looking for simple instructions on what settings I need to change in order to fix the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 3

Cakewalk always records the signal at the track input.

If the track is recording data from other tracks in the DAW along with the new signal coming from outside the DAW then something outside the DAW is mixing the data and sending it to the track being recorded in Cakewalk.

IOW, an external hardware mixer or a software mixer used by the audio interface is mixing the new input and the signal coming from the DAW and sending it back to the DAW.

 

WRT adjusting monitor playback level, this depends on where the signals are coming from.

When direct monitoring, there is usually a knob on the interface or a software mixer supplied with the interface to adjust the level of the direct signal and the signal coming from the DAW.

When monitoring everything through the DAW the playback levels are set in the DAW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Preferences/Project/Record/Recording Mode/Comping?

You can mute any tracks you don't wish to hear during recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If your interface has multiple inputs, select the one in CbB's track input you want to record from. If your interface only has one stereo input visible in CbB, you won't be able to do it because all tracks will play thru that input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/17/2021 at 3:40 AM, John Vere said:

This is not a cakewalk issue it is a audio interface issue 

I'm fairly certain this is a result of following your video about on board audio. I must have changed certain settings and now my interface is braindead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, scook said:

Cakewalk always records the signal at the track input.

If the track is recording data from other tracks in the DAW along with the new signal coming from outside the DAW then something outside the DAW is mixing the data and sending it to the track being recorded in Cakewalk.

IOW, an external hardware mixer or a software mixer used by the audio interface is mixing the new input and the signal coming from the DAW and sending it back to the DAW.

 

WRT adjusting monitor playback level, this depends on where the signals are coming from.

When direct monitoring, there is usually a knob on the interface or a software mixer supplied with the interface to adjust the level of the direct signal and the signal coming from the DAW.

When monitoring everything through the DAW the playback levels are set in the DAW.

So what does this mean I need to do to fix it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 minutes ago, Stewart Cormack said:

So what does this mean I need to do to fix it?

You've not mentioned what audio interface you're using, so it's difficult to give you exact steps, but the gist of it is:

Some audio devices offer the choice between just the recording what's coming through the line/mic input, or the "stereo mix" - the latter being a mix of what's being played as well as your audio input. 

You need to deselect the stereo mix option, and only use the audio input.

This is done using whatever software comes with your audio device - it can't be done from within Cakewalk.

If you're using an on-board device, you can do it within Windows itself:

disableStereoMix.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You've not mentioned what audio interface you're using, so it's difficult to give you exact steps, but the gist of it is:

Some audio devices offer the choice between just the recording what's coming through the line/mic input, or the "stereo mix" - the latter being a mix of what's being played as well as your audio input. 

You need to deselect the stereo mix option, and only use the audio input.

This is done using whatever software comes with your audio device - it can't be done from within Cakewalk.

If you're using an on-board device, you can do it within Windows itself:

disableStereoMix.gif

 

I'm using a Soundcraft Notepad 8FX audio interface, and I checked sound settings and stereo mix has already been already disabled. So the problem must lie somewhere else.

Edited by Stewart Cormack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Stewart Cormack said:

I'm using a Soundcraft Notepad 8FX audio interface, and I checked sound settings and stereo mix has already been already disabled. So the problem must lie somewhere else.

Ok, according to the manual (p 39 )

Notepad-8FX
Using the Soundcraft USB Audio Control Panel for PC on the Soundcraft.com website, users can select the “Audio Routing” tab, to select the point in the console feeding the USB bus to computer.

For Inputs 1+2, users can select from:

  • Mic Inputs 1+2
  • Stereo Input 3+4
  • Stereo Input 5+6
  • Mix L+R

USB return will come into the input channel 7+8, which is the channel where the USB-B connector is attached. This signal is summed with signal coming in the RCA 7+8 jacks, before proceeding down the input channel strip.
 

So it looks like you've got yours set to Mix L+R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Notepad-8FX
Using the Soundcraft USB Audio Control Panel for PC on the Soundcraft.com website, users can select the “Audio Routing” tab, to select the point in the console feeding the USB bus to computer. 
For Inputs 1+2, users can select from: 
Mic Inputs 1+2
Stereo Input 3+4
Stereo Input 5+6
Mix L+R
USB return will come into the input channel 7+8, which is the channel where the USB-B connector is 
attached. This signal is summed with signal coming in the RCA 7+8 jacks, before proceeding down the 
input channel strip. 

 

Did you download and install their USB Audio Control Panel?
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Stewart Cormack said:

I'm fairly certain this is a result of following your video about on board audio. I must have changed certain settings and now my interface is braindead. 

If that was the video about on board audio then it’s not about using an outboard audio interface. Following those instructions would not have helped nor would your on board audio settings have any influence over your interface. It has its own ASIO drivers and it own settings. 
 

Clear instructions come with all audio interfaces. There’s probably a video about it too. 
 

 

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...