What's that you ask?

Shane_B.

Oh just me trying to stay warm in the 6 degree ice stormy weather while the power is out.

Sitting here alone with my sickly dog while my wife is in Waikiki for work for the next 2 weeks.

I was using my DAW when it happened several hours ago. Power went on and off 4 times and there were 3 explosions up the street. Roads are icy and someone wrecked into the transformer substation a couple miles away. I could smell the magic smoke before I got a chance to yank the plug.

Maybe it's God's way of telling me it's time to pack in the music Hah

16127411021007355260827433193705.jpg

• Sad 1

Power came back on. So far the only thing that verifiably let the magic smoke out was the oven in the kitchen. Dead as a doornail. 

What the h e double hockey sticks are those blue eyes in the pic I posted!!!???

I'm not joking, what the??

Cue Rod Sterling again. 

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Power came back on. So far the only thing that verifiably let the magic smoke out was the oven in the kitchen. Dead as a doornail. 

What the h e double hockey sticks are those blue eyes in the pic I posted!!!???

I'm not joking, what the??

Cue Rod Sterling again. 

Never should have named your dog Cujo Shane! 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

One thing we do well in the UK* is our plugs for electrical devices - the fuse in the plug might blow, but your device should be safe.

* We seem to be making a total bollocks of nearly everything else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wibbles said:

One thing we do well in the UK* is our plugs for electrical devices - the fuse in the plug might blow, but your device should be safe.

* We seem to be making a total bollocks of nearly everything else.

None of your appliances came with plugs until 1992?! Zoinks Scoob! :) We do all of that here too but voluntarily. The child safety outlets aren't required. One thing I want to do is install the combo GFCI/AFCI breakers right in the breaker box but they are expensive. I would think code will require them eventually.

We have a whole house surge suppressor from the power company on the meter plus I have GFCI's through the house. I also have one of these ...

1636577776_51kPI8Yk5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg.fb6b33c903e77f93adafad4926f22903.jpg

We had a big outage this summer too. The neighbors kid rammed their lawn mower in to the transformer box in their yard and moved it and shorted out the mains coming from underground. We were without power for over 12 hours. It fried my coffee pot which is on a GFCI, took out the ARC HDMI port on my TV so I can't use the surround via HDMI now, blew up the subwoofer amp. It was all connected to the Monster Power thing in the pic except for the coffee pot. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. The whole house surge suppressor comes with a warranty but you have to jump through a 1,000 hoops to get anything out of them. This time I might try and also make them pay for the TV and surround and coffee pot as well.

So far it's looking like the only thing that got fried is the oven but a lot of times you can't tell until days or weeks after.

2 minutes ago, craigb said:

I also keep a extra charger charged so I can recharge my phone two extra times.

Me too.  When my daughter goes away to College this fall I'm giving her a battery pack fully charged. No excuse we can't get a hold of her 😆