Sad Day at Guitar Center

Bapu

I took in some used gear for them to buy. Got $697 for it. That was not the sad part (except you know I originally paid way more that double that amount for the stuff, but I'm not complaining I know the game).

What was sad was the bass wall was less than half full. 3 basses were American Fenders the rest were junk priced at $199 to $499.

The guitar was had 150 slots for guitars. It was literally only half full. Yes, I counted. Average price ~$699. Jacksons and the like.

Granted it was all marked as Presidents Day Sale.

I got there at 9:30. Left at 10:45. Took that long to test and price all 7 items I brought in. 

In all that time I saw two old guys (about my age) buy a set of strings each and young girl buy some small cable adapter.

• Sad 1

It seems to me that almost every non-software item that I look up at actual store retailers is not in stock and has been that way for some time. Now I'm not sure if its the C word, the B word, a combination of the two or just that retailers are having to cut back on stock due to finances and having to keep closing their stores.

G.C. is horrible. It has been long before C19. I'll never buy a thing from them again. They tried to screw me on gear trade in's, told me high dollar items I ordered would be here in 2 days and after 2 weeks they ask me why the hell I want it so bad and to just wait. Me=Done. G.C.=💩💩💩

Of course, that was around here. The one up in Des Moines was actually great. Well, 15 years ago. Probably a Starbucks or some hipster oxygen bar now.

FYI: My band mates and I used to hang out at one of the very original Guitar Center stores on Sunset Blvd. in 1970-1971 to see the "real" stuff and then go back home and order said stuff from our local music store.

That GC was no bigger than a Starbucks. But we saw gear in travel cases from some well known bands. That was the real "thrill" of going there.

I can't imagine that. It must have been great going in there. The one up in DSM was huge. I'm having Deja Vu. I seem to remember talking about this with you or here with someone before. Hmmm. They actually handed out business cards with their cell numbers on it and what instruments they played. Really nice store and nice people.

This is where I spent my time. I used to tag along with my brother when I was little and go to his original location a few miles away back in the late 70's. My brother is quite a bit older than me. I still have every guitar I ever bought from there except for 1. An 83 Lefty Gibson Black Beauty Custom. Hated it. Sounded like a wet sponge was rammed between the pickups and strings. Never could get it worked out. I only bought it because opportunities for left handed gear of that caliber are pretty rare.

"What was sad was the bass wall was less than half full. 3 basses were American Fenders the rest were junk priced at $199 to $499."

Both Face Book Market and Craig's List in my area have had a serious shortage of good used instruments for months now.   As you say, mostly junk that is advertised for sale right now.   I have had some trades that I have wanted to try to accomplish, but there is nothing to trade for...and what's listed they are only wanting to sell.    

It is rapidly becoming obvious that brick and mortar music stores are acting as showrooms for Amazon et. al. Try it out in a nice setting with a bunch of knowledgeable  sales people who can advise you to upgrade your expectations to something that will give them a fatter commission and then pay 20% less to get it by mail order from a totally unrelated business. Result--less stock and less expertise at the local store.  

3 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

Result--less stock and less expertise at the local store.  

The guy who was testing my used gear couldn't understand why there was a dead channel on a mixer I brought in. I walked over and cleared the mute button. "Huh!" was his replay. Must've been a drummer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

It is rapidly becoming obvious that brick and mortar music stores are acting as showrooms for Amazon et. al. 

Yes and not just music stores - seems to apply to any bigger ticket items. Amazing how many people only take the short term view. What do they think will happen to Amazon's prices once they have put all the competition out of business and Amazon is the only place you can get anything? That said, I have on more than one occasion been into a physical store with the money in my hand and been told that I should order it from their website, so they really don't help themselves sometimes.

For years, every time I go into a bank they say..."you do realise that you can do this online?" To which I always reply...." You do realise that you're talking yourself out of a job?"