Please, improve touchscreen functionality

natalini

I don't know how many peoples use or like to use touchscreen with Cakewalk, personally I like to throw away the prehistoric mouse( specially for my shoulders, but also for my workflow/ergonomic), unfortunately the touch function in Cakewalk is limited, at minimum we would need the ability to work within the tracks for leave efficiently the rat. These animals will disappear or at list will become accessories one day, be in advance Cakewalk.

Mice have been accessories since their introduction in the 50s. Blind people usually navigate entirely using the keyboard.

You'll see that very few DAW support multi touch on that level, simply because almost no one uses it. You're going from having little tactile feedback with the mouse to zero with a touchscreen. It could also screw with screen reader software, making visually impaired people unable to use it in some cases.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:44 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Mice have been accessories since their introduction in the 50s. Blind people usually navigate entirely using the keyboard.

You'll see that very few DAW support multi touch on that level, simply because almost no one uses it. You're going from having little tactile feedback with the mouse to zero with a touchscreen. It could also screw with screen reader software, making visually impaired people unable to use it in some cases.

No one uses multitouch simply because no daw has a solid implementation of it, not the other way around. Multitouch screens are way cheaper now than they used to be, and more people are getting them. I use a 43" tv with a pqlabs ir frame, and it is great. Even with poor implementations, mixing is way more speedy and intuitive than using a mouse. So, don´t knock it till you try it.

Cakewalk was one of the first to introduce touchscreen capabilities, but (just like with other features) it has never been updated since its introduction many years ago, so it indeed would be nice to see improvements on this front.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:02 AM, msmcleod said:

@natalini - FWIW quite a few of the team have surface books to test touch-screen functionality. 

Is there anything specific that isn't working for you?

Just off the top of my head, some improvements could be:

-Swipe solo, mute and record (and whatever else could benefit from this), which work with the mouse but not upon using a touchscreen.

-More precision with controlling faders and knobs, sometimes moves are a bit jumpy, or when raising fingers, controls jump to other value than the one just set. This makes it unusable for drawing automation.

-Touch capability for tools in track view, and not just for zoom.

-Per track vertical zoom in track view.

-One touch open for plugin windows (as with mouse).

-More buttons in Custom panel and/or more Custom panels.

-When assigning Console view to Custom panel buttons, make them full screen (as if having pressed "shift-D"). There´s no use for having a button assigned and then having to use the keyboard to expand the dock.

-Scalability of faders in Console view. Not asking for vectorial drawings (like studio one or reaper) but at least give us two or three fixed sizes to choose from, as right now faders are too small for good resolution (besides having to deal with jumpy controls as stated before)

-Customizable behavior of knobs: up-down or left-right or circular motions to choose from.

-Quick group (Cntrl modifier) for touch control (only works with mouse).

These are the ones I can think up just now, will be taking notes during my workflow as to what else could have better implementation. Or maybe I´ll start another thread with other enhancements too... even though just a solid implmentation of multitouch and true mono hardware inserts would make CbB a really advanced daw for mixing already, there are a couple other enhancements that would take it to another level.

Is there anything specific that isn't working for you?

presently, i use a multitouch monitor ilyama 32 pouce, so it is capacitive only not like an ipad or surface pro witch have an active screen.

with KC23,

__ first at all is the possibility to work with tools in the track view, editing clips and curves.

__ touch enable within the midi editor, working with pencil or finger with big screen  for editing midi is very convenient, capacitive screen don't allow to have multi function pencil with R and L click but if adding short cut keyboard, it should be possible then.

__ general improvement of the touch precision.

Perhaps a relook at touchscreen functionality would be beneficial.  While there may be some truth that not many people use their DAW with touchscreen, they may in the future.  Many laptops have touchscreens.  Judging by what's on sale I'd say people are slowly moving from desktop to laptop and tablet based computers.

It's great to see the general suggestion was made, the request was acknowledged and feedback was requested.  Then more specific feedback was given.

Is Roland trying to catch old customer from sonar with the zenbeat full touchable daw?  this is the first touchable daw that i can use without touching the mouse a single time. i am trying out now. it have the minimum functionalities but not as complete than cakewalk, unfortunately.  cakewalk with the touchable functionalities of Zenbeat will be  just the perfect daw of 21 century. 

download (1).jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg