micv

MMCSS when to use?

I saw that there are updates to this in the recent built, never really understand this beyond what's in wiki.

In practice when do you enable MMCSS? and what do the various modes actually do?

I haven't made the update to the latest, but on the last version, when enable MMCSS, I got 'hic-cup' on the midi tracks.  

Multimedia applications use the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications. This is a mechanism to allow realtime applications to have a degree of guaranteed performance even under system load from other background processes. This is on by default in CbB and when enabled all engine threads are marked as prioritized for Pro Audio. We also support custom MMCSS Task profiles.

If you want to read more about it here is a thread from the old forum.

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Multimedia applications use the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications. This is a mechanism to allow realtime applications to have a degree of guaranteed performance even under system load from other background processes. This is on by default in CbB and when enabled all engine threads are marked as prioritized for Pro Audio. We also support custom MMCSS Task profiles.

If you want to read more about it here is a thread from the old forum.

Would that really make much of a difference when the only program running is the DAW?

Assuming the CbB knows to give the system some CPU for system critical background process?

I typically turn off network, virus, the internal sounds process when running DAW.  Those in my experience have interfered with DAW.

Updated to the latest version, been playing with the setting and so far I can't really tell if there is a different with MMCSS or not.

Then there likely is no major difference for your use.  If you run a browser or other activity in the background and stress the system by activity you may notice that with MMCSS on there are fewer interruptions.
In simple terms you can think of MMCSS as a layer of extra insurance against dropouts. Its OK to leave on even if you don’t have obvious issues which is why its recommended as the default in Windows audio applications. Windows 10 has improved over earlier OS’s where there are fewer contests for time critical threads but every system is different and has different processes running.

So what is the general consensus in XXI century, are we still supposed to set the priority to background processes? I was doing it since 90-ties and never looked back. That was always one of just few tweaks first done in each next Windows build for me.

good to know.  I've set this background process as well since way back and forgot about it and never could confirm that it does something or not.

44 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You have never needed to do this. Its folklore propagated by some misinformed people based on very specific cases.

Glad nobody told me over the years or else it could have stopped working for me. :D 

And I think I got it from some well regarded source like SOS etc, back then.

Edited by chris.r

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You have never needed to do this. Its folklore propagated by some misinformed people based on very specific cases.

interesting as we speak, there is another active thread, and I copy the link here.  It still said about background process.  folklore is hard to squash, I suppose 😀

https://www.blades.technology/music/daws-sonar-and-studio-one/three-tips-to-optimize-pc-for-daw-use

"3. Configuring the computer to prefer Background Processes over Programs.  This one made the biggest "one item" difference."

As I said some people have found it to be useful in specific cases. Maybe certain hardware or drivers work better with it. From a technical point of view I see optimizing for background potentially problematic since it allows the OS to favor other programs. I wouldn't want Windows favoring the web browser or some random process over the current active process. So YMMV. I have never turned this on for any DAW I have had in the last 20 years and have never had an issue.

I remember reading that someone called an audio driver a background process and that way justifying prioritizing background processes. My Ploytec ASIO driver has it's own setting for how much I want to prioritize it so I should have nothing to loose changing back to apps.