iZiKKO

Fading on Midi or Instrument tracks

Posted (edited)

Hi guys. Fading is easy on Cakewalk IF you have just a regular audio track. BUT, if you have a midi or instrument track it gets more complicated. What is your easiest, or preferred method of fading in and out on midi tracks? This is a beginner question, so please explain this as you would explain it to your grandmother :)

MidiFades.jpg

Edited by iZiKKO

I tend to use instrument tracks, so I'll fade that out the same way as any other audio track.

For multi-timbral VSTi's, I either:

• Make sure the VSTi is sending to multiple outs, and do the fade automation on the relevant audio track; or
  • Record the controller information for either CC #7 (volume), or CC #11 (expression) depending on how the VSTi (or hardware MIDI device) reacts.

The Roland "D" series sound modules (D110, D50, U110)  for example, don't react to CC #7 in realtime - i.e. existing notes stay the same, and the new volume only takes effect when the next note is played. CC #11 can however be used to affect the volume for notes that are already playing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I tend to use instrument tracks, so I'll fade that out the same way as any other audio track.

Mate, regular "drag" fading does not seem to work on Instruments tracks either?

10 minutes ago, iZiKKO said:

Mate, regular "drag" fading does not seem to work on Instruments tracks either?

Ah - ok, I see what you mean. 

I normally do it as automation:

volume_fade.gif

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

38 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I normally do it as automation:

Brilliant! Automation it is! Thank you for your help, mate!

automationForFades.jpg

Posted (edited)

Instrument track clips behave like MIDI clips until frozen, then they behave like audio clips. So you have 3 choices.

1. Add volume cc's in PRV (MIDI clip) (works only if softsynth responds to cc data)

2. Add a volume envelope or Automation (MIDI & Audio clips)

3. Real time fade (Audio/Frozen clips) - This one can be permanently applied to the clip by bouncing it.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for all these good tips! Re. fading with automation tracks have you noticed if they use lots of CPU? 

You'd be better off if you use Expression instead since Expression scales off of the Volume, which will make it easier if you need to do an overall adjust on the track's loudness.

70l3B64.png

• Like 1