Two Status Headphones are now $44

Reid Rosefelt

5 hours ago, Hatstand said:

Status got back to me and pointed to this article

That's a good review and I don't disagree with any of it.  It  especially interesting to me in that the reviewer is comparing with the same hp I have, the HD280 Pros.   After two evenings of listening to them, I don't mind wearing them at all, in fact, I'm actually enjoying listening to them! 

Thanks @Reid Rosefelt for bringing these to our attention!

• Like 1

Yes @Simeon Amburgey's missus will be pleased to know the ear pads don't disintegrate after a couple of years :)

and thanks from me also @Reid Rosefelt

I think I will probably stick to using the AKG's for mixing as I like to mix as flat as possible, but will definitely use these for tracking, sanity checking bass levels and probably just for general listening as well as they do sound good vanilla particularly for the enhanced bass end.

Once I am used to their characteristics I could probably start using them for mixing as they are very comfortable just need to be careful not to overcook the mids and undercook the bass.

• Like 2

That review sums it up for me.  These are my headphones now.    I could pay more... but I like 'em.

I have a music computer and a work computer.  I got tired of moving the headphones back and forth, so I bought a second pair.  And when I broke one of them, I bought a third pair.  CB-1s are what I'm used to now.  Very comfortable to wear for long periods, as my wife is having all these Webex meetings not too far away.

For final mixing, I use speakers. 

I'm happy I passed on this deal to everybody, and I'm glad that all of you were so open to giving these a chance. I worried, because my ears are not so good these days....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'll chime in with my "thumbs up"

Gave them a whirl for a couple hours.

As stated previusly, I certainly didn't need another pair of headphones and I certainly have better ones (especially on the open back front).

I've never really been a fan of the HD280 other than the fact every part on those things are replaceable - so they are a great studio option as they are made for longevity.   So my primary reason for buying them was an alternative closed back can to my HD280s and KRK8400.  I'd say they hold up favorably to either pair striticly speaking to general sound quality, though sound different than both and have clearly different signatures and presentations.  

Are the Status cans worth it at $35?  Absolutly.  They have plenty of detail for tracking, isolation for mic bleed could be better, but way better than open backs.  And I also think that once acclimated, they are balanced enough I could "learn" them well enough to make reasonable mixing decisions.   I wouldn't want to use them as the only criteria, but honestly I'd say the same about any headphones I own including ones that were 10x the cost.

For closed back cans I don't always need the best possible sound quality as I just need somethign with enough detail and a close enough signature to get a track down....these will get lots of use for that I'm sure.  Superb value for the money here.

(build quality is good for the money, not as robust as any of my other cans, but I also treat my gear well and do not have concerns about them)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

as my wife is having all these Webex meetings not too far away.

Sort of the same here. Only my wife is doing medical transcription using ear buds but she can still hear the squeak/rattle/squak/plunk of my bass strings when I record DI so speakers have become a low use for me over these last few years.

I've replace my Mackie HR824s with IKM iLoudMTMs. I'm actually taking my well taken care of Mackie HR824s to the local Guitar Center on Saturday for their "we'll buy your used gear" event along with some other unused items. Hoping to see $300 minimum for it all. I'll probably only see $150 but I will have cleared out some space.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:32 PM, Simeon Amburgey said:

OK,

I just tried some experiments with Morphit and when I have it set to about 150% I do get some of that sparkle back ;^)

This is just so very interesting, having been invested in hearing things a certain way for so long, it shows the power of how we perceive things.  I do know that I have a very drastic divot in my 3k range so I know that things like that are going to affect how I am hearing things.

I am actually thinking about ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506s and see and hear how those might compare. Also there are definite profiles for these in the NX programs. We shall see, I mean hear. It also looks like Status no longer is selling the OB-1 (Open Backed).

Thanks for the feedback.
All the best,
Simeon

The actual changes Morphit makes at 100% on these Stratus cans was honeslty surprisingly subtle.  That should provide some indication they are actually in the ball park of "flat"

I certianly have more expensive cans that when using the profile loaded for the specifc pair the changes the software makes to them are more extreme.   I'd chalk this up to another +1 on some $35 cans.

• Like 1