Moho 13 (Animation Software) sale till 30 November

mettelus

I picked this up a couple months back and was initially confused why SmithMicro was emailing me, but they also own EscapeMotions (Rebelle 3, Flame Painter 4, etc. ) from the Humble Bundle a while back.

Moho 13 comes in two flavors (Pro and Debut) which are currently $239.99 and $35.99 (40% off), with the primary differences being animation resolution and duration. You can also trial Pro for 30 days if you just want to play with it. The software defaults to new stock animations being loaded, which is actually nice to see what the software is capable of.

As I am new to using animation software, I did a bit of research beforehand, and Moho gets a lot of kudos for its bone structure modeling. Below is a one of the better comparisons where she walks through tiers of software used in the animation industry (she doesn't use Moho, but mentioned it). The high tier is professional with a hefty price tag, Moho falls in mid-tier, and Blender (free) is probably the best in the lower tier. Moho Pro will import Blender objects, but I have found this hit-or-miss, especially if the object is too complex.

I was hesitant to mention the first pass because I had not really used it, but there is a good chance this will go on sale again for Christmas in case anyone is interested. For ease-of-use, this has been fun to play with and animates between key frames pretty much identical to the way flash does (for those familiar). The tutorials are nicely laid out with their own manual, and there are a lot of videos online discussing Moho specifically if interested.

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

How does this compare to Blender (which is free and does 2D animation now as well)?

I reckon the 2D tools in blender with the Grease Pencil etc still would not be near whats a well established 2D program like Moho. 

Moho is very good, however its not getting much love via Smith Micro in the dev end of things. Still used across the 2D pro industry though I notice some studios switching away to Harmony/Toonboom etc

I still cannot get into using Blender seriously, so cannot do justice speaking to it (again, this is just something I do for fun). From a 2D animation perspective, the way flash was structured (vector-based) made a lot of sense using key frames and letting the engine move objects between key frames. Moho seems to simply be an embellished version of flash, where the bone structure limits the motion to the joints defined, which streamlines the process a great deal. For me, a lot of the appeal comes down to ease of use. Investing hundreds of hours to properly use software that has a fairly rudimentary output is not high on my appeal list. Everyone's goals and opinions of things are different, so running the trial would be the best recommendation. The tutorial manual is almost as big as the user guide, and the stock projects they load (can shut them off) when you open the software run through most of the program nicely.

• Thanks 1