Replacing and replicating system drive

Marc Cormier

Hi, all.  Never posted beyond the Deals section so apologies if I'm off base.  Picked up one of those PNY 500Gb drives Larry posted about and now I want to replace my current (120 Gb!) system drive with the new one.  Is there  a thread in Cakewalk world that you could point me to for some guidance and discussion?

@Marc Cormier assuming you are running Win 10 (works in 7 also):
From Control Panel, its a bit harder to find in 10, you need to create a "recovery" disc CD or thumbdrive.
Then you use Backup and Recovery (win 7) to create an image file, you store that on a separate drive.
Once you have done that, pull the old C drive, insert the new one, boot from the "recovery " disc and 
follow the on screen prompts.

tom

Edited by DeeringAmps

Hi, Tom.

Got a license for Acronis 2020 from a post on the Deals forum back in the spring and promptly forgot about it.  I activated it tonight.  From there, I created a rescue USB drive and then cloned my old 128 Gb system drive on the new 500Gb SSD.  Worked like a charm.  Didn't partition the new drive so I have space to spare.  Not sure if I did any of this correctly but here I am! 

Thanks for the note on the control panel method - I got Acronis for backup purposes but it paid for itself just cloning the old drive!  Now I'll have to clone and replace my sample drive once the new SSD arrives...