Sign in to follow this  
Starship Krupa

Phrase samplers for use in Cakewalk

Since CbB remains without an integrated or bundled phrase (drum machine style) sampler, my thought is that it might be helpful to compile a list of whatever we're using instead. I'm not talking about things like Kontakt or Sampletank, but rather instruments whose purpose is mostly to play back phrases when triggered by MIDI events. They all allow a certain amount of cropping and manipulation, reversing and loop options for the audio samples.

My current favorite is Speedrum Lite, which is freeware, simple but not incomplete, pretty much along the lines of what I'd like to see bundled with Cakewalk.

Others I've tried that fill the bill are Sitala, freeware, similar in features to Speedrum Lite, and TX16wx, also freeware, way more features than the others, but with corresponding complexity. I find I can get my phrase sampling jobs done more quickly with Speedrum and Sitala, but for fancy multivelocity stuff, I'd go with TX16wx.

It would of course be great to have such a thing built into Cakewalk, but these are what I've been using to get by until the feature is included.

• Like 2

After seeing @Xel Ohh's tutorial video about Big Fish Audio's free sampler, Momentum, I'm excited about it.  Big Fish Audio updates it, it has up to 16 outputs and there is a 1.7 GB library to get you started.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, Starship Krupa said:

My current favorite is Speedrum Lite, which is freeware, simple but not incomplete, pretty much along the lines of what I'd like to see bundled with Cakewalk.

T H A T    I S    P R E T T Y    C L O S E    T O    W H A T    W E     W O U L D     L O V E    T O    S E E    I N    C A K E W A L K    A S    S A M P L E    T R A C K   ! ! :D 

that plus selectable root note and without the pads as the project's track itself would be a single pad essentially, then we can further process it with the effects

ability to cycle through samples in browser smoothly during playback would be essential

envelope should be draggable

and that's it, built-in the DAW, ready for you anytime, without loading external plugins and taking additional pc resources... and without crashes :) 

• Like 1

Maybe @Xel Ohh would like to chime in. Or at least I'm calling your attention to this thread, because I kind of see you as the flag-bearer for the "Cakewalk Needs A Phrase Sampler" movement. 😃

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Maybe @Xel Ohh would like to chime in. Or at least I'm calling your attention to this thread, because I kind of see you as the flag-bearer for the "Cakewalk Needs A Phrase Sampler" movement. 😃

Thanks... I think I have tried all these samplers named but the speedrum lite... I might have to look into that one to see what it does..😄 But we all know that Cakewalk needs its own.. Until then we will keep looking at different samplers out there that will fill the void for now..

• Like 2