Vsti Patches not saving in projects

I may have posted this question in the old forum. My apologies if I did.I am re-recording many older songs from the 80s and 90s lately that were originally done on 4 track cassette. I purchased the Korg M1 and Roland JV 1080 vast instruments. I created a few projects each using some of these patches. The problem is that sometimes, when I re-open the projects at a later time, the patch is incorrect. I will be the right vst (M1 or Korg) but it will revert back to the first patch. That doesn’t help when there are hundreds of patches to choose fro. Then I have to remember which of the 10 drum sets I used and which patch format hat set. It happens with any random instrument patch.

Am I doing something wrong or is this working by design? It makes it nearly impossible to use virtual instruments without writing down every instrument, patch, parameter, etc. How is everyone dealing with this? This cannot be the way it is in pro stud Rios using Pro Tools or any other DAWS is it?

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

• 2 weeks later...

So, is it normal that I choose a patch in the Korg M1 vsti, do an entire session, save and close Cakewalk, and next time I open the project, the patch is completely different? Such as, the first patch is called Universe. While it sounds nice, it does not fit in most any songs. So, I change it to brass, or drums or anything else. Next time I open the project, it will revert to Universe. Then I have to figure out which if the 1000+ patches I used originally. I cannot imagine this is how it is designed.

No, that is not expected behavior. Definitely not "as designed."

Cakewalk should save any plug-in in exactly the state it was in when you hit "Save."

As a workaround until you get it sorted, you might try using the Cakewalk dialog for saving the patch just to see if it helps. Up at the upper left of the plug-in window, double click in there, give the patch a name, then click on the floppy icon to the right of it. At least at that point you won't have to remember which of the 1,000 factory patches you used. I often do this anyway as a bit of insurance, and name the patch after the song. "Petty Revenge B3" or whatever.

It's possible that there is some MIDI data in your track that is telling the instrument to revert to "Universe" at the beginning of the project. Maybe check the Event List and see if you see anything suspicious. Don't know how it would have gotten there, but it's all I have at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion but that does not help much. I already rename the track to the patch name. However, that does not help if I turn of the vst instrumenr’s exagerated effects settings. I don’t need a swarm of reverb or crazy delays In a stock patch. 

So, my guess is that there is no answer to this annoying issue. How is anyone getting anything done, unless this doesn’t happen to them. Maybe it is an M1 or 4oland cloud issue. I don’t see anything in Cakewalk that will allow me to save these settings.

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

CbB will save files based on what file was opened. Open a MIDI file and by default CbB saves a MIDI file. Unfortunately MIDI files only contain MIDI data so any changes outside of the MIDI spec are lost. When opening a MIDI file make sure to save as a Cakewalk project to save non-MIDI data such as soft synth assignments.

I create a new cakewalk project and only save them as a cakewalk project. I never save as a .mid file. But I still lose much of my patch sounds nearly every time. Even if the patch is correct, it will sound way off, so I click on the vst instrument so it opens, change the patch and change it back immediately and it works. It is a nuisance to do this every time but it works. I do not know why most of my vst settings disappear after I close the project.

I was told several things from support. Using VST3 and VST2s in the same project. None of their suggestion seemed to work.    I have a weird workaround that seems to work.  Still testing. Waves MV2 RBass and bunch of others reset every time the file was saved. I spend almost a year trying to figure out what was happening!! I’ll post more when I am sure. 

I never updated any of these plugins. It is completely random. Some sounds seem to stick and most do not.  I am saving as a Cakewalk Project. Oddly, the correct patch is already selected in the instrument but the sound is not right so I increment the patch up one and back down again and it will play correctly. It s a pain to do that and only works if I wrote the original patch name down for reference.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:16 AM, Max Arwood said:

I was told several things from support. Using VST3 and VST2s in the same project. None of their suggestion seemed to work.    I have a weird workaround that seems to work.  Still testing. Waves MV2 RBass and bunch of others reset every time the file was saved. I spend almost a year trying to figure out what was happening!! I’ll post more when I am sure. 

That would be great if you could share your findings Max. I would surely appreciate it as many others would too.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:30 PM, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I never updated any of these plugins. It is completely random. Some sounds seem to stick and most do not.  I am saving as a Cakewalk Project. Oddly, the correct patch is already selected in the instrument but the sound is not right so I increment the patch up one and back down again and it will play correctly. It s a pain to do that and only works if I wrote the original patch name down for reference.

Which ones reset on you?

4 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Waves MV2, Renbass, Q10 ,GWMixcentric, Renverb,   Vocal rider, Bass rider, there are more from waves. Also Bass professor MKII,  Reverbit. There are others.    This only happens sometimes. 

I hope that Cake support can figure it out. I don't have any of those plugins to test with. But I do have the Waves H-Series plugins, as well as Waves Scheps Omni Channel, and they seem to remember their  settings OK. I use the Waves VST3 plugin versions in Cakewalk.

CbB 2019.03 on Windows 10 Pro 1809 with March 2019 updates (OS Build 17763.404).