[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access

Morten Saether

29 minutes ago, Craig Reeves said:

This isn't really on topic of the articulation maps, but copying and pasting multiple lanes of automation in busses is very faulty and very often does not work, only pasting the top lane rather than all of them. 

Was this issue introduced with the Early Release or has this been an issue for previous versions as well?

I like that it is now possible to move the clip split in a single track lane with the Alt modifier. But there is still this issue that in one situation it is not possible to make a cross-fade at the split point. And there is still this issue with the clip gain for a selection if you have multiple clips in the lane.

1.) Crossfade Problem:

• Split clips on 2 lanes at the same position
  • Remove the rear part in the 1st lane
  • Now it is not possible to cross-fade with Ctrl+Alt+Mouse in the 2nd lane (the cross-fade cursor does not appear), only if the split location is different to the 1st lane

2.) Clip Gain for selection:

• Insert an audio clip into a track lane
  • Split the clip at any position
  • Set the track to "Clip Gain"
  • Making selections within the rear clip allows you to adjust the gain for the selection in the clip header as it should be.
  • But trying to adjust the gain for a selection in the leading clip fails although the gain cursor appears on the header (in the popup appears "-INF" twice). To change the gain of the whole leading clip is possible though!
Edited by marled
Problems with the forum interface!

3 hours ago, Craig Reeves said:

This isn't really on topic of the articulation maps, but copying and pasting multiple lanes of automation in busses is very faulty and very often does not work, only pasting the top lane rather than all of them. 

I noticed this a few releases back... apparently this is by design for busses.

23 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Same issue & fix here.

I have never unchecked it so something must have changed in this new version

I think this needs to be removed. I flipped out on this too a while back. Why would we want that? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Roll back to 2020.9 build 006 and see if the issue still exists there.  If it does, then log a standard support ticket here.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

Why there when the people who can help him instantly is right here in the thread helping everyone? 

It was said early in this thread to send all related queries right here. 

8 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Why there when the people who can help him instantly is right here in the thread helping everyone? 

It was said early in this thread to send all related queries right here. 

Because this thread is only for specific issues introduced in the Early Release version.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 4:13 PM, Bill Phillips said:

I just started install and selected Advanced so that I could pick VST and content paths to match my file location preferences. However, I was unable to select the VST path and stopped there.

The path shown seemed odd to me as well. I have three Cakewalk VST folders: G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_32-bit, G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_64-bit and G:\Cakewalk\X2\vstplugins. The path the installer was going to use was: G:\Cakewalk Content\X2\vstplugins. I don't have any plugins in the Cakewalk Content folder.

There's a global VST install path that gets set by any previous Cakewalk/SONAR installer, and now it's getting inherited with the current install. This is set by a key in the Windows Registry. 

You can change this, but you might want to make a backup of your Registry by going to File | Export in the Registry Editor if you're not familiar with making changes there. 

To open the registry editor, hold the "Windows key" and press "r" to bring up the Run prompt. Type: regedit and click OK. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\VSTPlugins.

Select the VST Plugins folder. In the right-hand pane you'll see InstallDirectory. Double-click this and put in your desired path.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

There's a global VST install path that gets set by any previous Cakewalk/SONAR installer, and now it's getting inherited with the current install. This is set by a key in the Windows Registry. 

You can change this, but you might want to make a backup of your Registry by going to File | Export in the Registry Editor if you're not familiar with making changes there. 

To open the registry editor, hold the "Windows key" and press "r" to bring up the Run prompt. Type: regedit and click OK. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\VSTPlugins.

Select the VST Plugins folder. In the right-hand pane you'll see InstallDirectory. Double-click this and put in your desired path.

After selecting "Advanced" install why am I unable to select another VST plugin folder? I've always been able to do that before.  

Is this something I screwed up by deciding to install a couple of X2 plugins? 

UPDATE: Don't bother to respond. You've got bigger fish to fry. My question is related to the Early Release, but not related to the great new main feature which is generating a lot of discussion. So I'm just going to skip this early release and hope the problem I'm dealing with, which is new for me, goes away before the final 2020.10 release. If not, I'll bring it up again then.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Redirecting

10 hours ago, Craig Reeves said:

There are no changes to this for the .10 release. Can you be more explicit about what why you think its faulty?
How exactly are you doing the copy and paste.

17 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Thanks Noel

So I'm writing instrumental cues for Music Libraries , maybe 2 or 3 tracks per week. Mostly midi ..the odd live part on occasion. Generally they end up in things like TV reality shows and such like. 

I don't actually use take lanes, I tend to record one midi pass and if it's wrong I undo it and record it again until it's close enough to keep or tweak in the PRV.  I still have my projects set to the " Sound On Sound " recording option rather than comping.

The clips I am muting are usually the only take, so to have them disappear by default is a bit disconcerting. I want to know they are still there as I may unmute a bit later into the process or move them elsewhere.

When putting a track together there can be a lot of moving parts and the ability to quickly mute a clip but still have it visible is important to my workflow.

Thanks, I've reverted to the previous value of showing muted clips by default to avoid confusion. The option is still there for those who prefer not to show muted clips.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Finally figured out the keyswitch articulation map issues

Here are the tips.  The articulations are channel specific so when using a multi-out VST loke the Aria player each instrument's keyswitches have to be on the corresponding channel in the Aria player.  I was trying to create a universal keyswitch map.  This means not only do I have to create one for each instrument, I need to keep the instruments in a constant slot in the Aria player.  THAT is a PITA!

Hopes for the future... have an "omni" channel in the keyswitch maps so you don't have to choose a channel. Since each map is applied on a per track basis there ought to be no conflicts in this approach.

Before I invest any more time and effort I'll wait to see what the release version and updates are like. Too much work to solve what is really not a big problem anyway.

And thanks to whomever pointed out that you have to export the articulation map you create to make it available in other projects.

18 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks, I've reverted to the previous value of showing muted clips by default to avoid confusion. The option is still there for those who prefer not to show muted clips.

Funny how our workflows vary.

I am thrilled to be able to turn them off. Though I was happy with Layers, I've since adjusted to Lanes as they periodically get updated to clear up some issues. This parent track image has been and is still an issue for me. When editing a single track with lanes displayed is mostly ok, editing with two or more tracks displaying lanes has many issues and cause me of lot of constant minutiae to deal with. This issue hiding the muted clips from the parent track addresses my other side (when lanes are not displayed)

Now if we could simply get an option to not display the parent track images while Lanes are displayed! 😎

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

Here are the tips.  The articulations are channel specific so when using a multi-out VST loke the Aria player each instrument's keyswitches have to be on the corresponding channel in the Aria player.  I was trying to create a universal keyswitch map.  This means not only do I have to create one for each instrument, I need to keep the instruments in a constant slot in the Aria player.  THAT is a PITA!

Hopes for the future... have an "omni" channel in the keyswitch maps so you don't have to choose a channel. Since each map is applied on a per track basis there ought to be no conflicts in this approach.

Before I invest any more time and effort I'll wait to see what the release version and updates are like. Too much work to solve what is really not a big problem anyway.

And thanks to whomever pointed out that you have to export the articulation map you create to make it available in other projects.

In about 20 minutes I created a universal articulation keyswitch file for the Octave 0 keys.

Each key switch is named for the note  C, C#, D, D# etc. You'd need a table of which notes correspond to which articulations to know what they mean - not difficult. You can modify the names to taste.

Each key has 16 channels associated with it so you can use it with any multitimbral instrument track which uses the lowest octave for key switches.  Those would include Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 NOTATION patches and Spitfire's BBC Orchestra.

I have attached it for everyone use and benefit   -  feedback welcomed. Copy it to the C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Articulation Maps folder.

EDIT:  THIS DOES NOT WORK AS ANTICIPATED.  THE KEY SWITCH SENDS ITS SIGNAL TO ALL TRACKS, NOT JUST THE ONE ON WHICH IT IS PLACED. THAT IS A BUG, NOT A FEATURE.  I WILL AWAIT REFINEMENTS FROM CAKEWALK

GPONotation.artmap

Edited by DocBob

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

This isn't strictly true... if the event has "Transpose" checked, it'll pickup either the forced Track MIDI channel, or the MIDI channel of the articulation section rather than the MIDI channel specified in the Articulation's MIDI Event trigger.

What's missing is an easy way to change the MIDI channel of the section (and it looks like there's a regression in the Event List View stopping you from editing the channel).

This will be resolved over the next day or so...

• Like 1

Need to be able to set a root note for an Articulation Group.  If an instrument's key switches start at C5 instead of C0, we can then set the root to C5 and when we add Articulations it will start at C5 and increment up from there.

Currently if you have to add 14 articulations for an instrument with a KS range at C5 (and above), you have to create 14 Articulations and then manually change the Note Value for all of them to match the KS.

8 minutes ago, Sergei Pilin said:

Just found a bug - if you move a midi clip with articulations assigned in the track view, the articulations stay where they are and won't move with the clip.

Articulations aren't tied to any clip - they live in their own one.  So you need to make sure they're selected if moving stuff.

Interesting issue tho... I'll discuss with the team.

• Like 1