[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access

Morten Saether

I set up an articulation map for Garritan personal orchestra, but it doesn't work at all. I imported the Cubase expressions maps for GPO and they  don't work either. The actual keyswitches on my keyboard are working perfectly.  Any idea what I' may be doing wrong??  In the example below I set up the keyswitch to be F# 2  for the STANDARD patch not the notation patch.  Neither the standard nor the notation patch switches work.

Untitled picture.png

Edited by DocBob
Clarification

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

I set up an articulation map for Garritan personal orchestra, but it doesn't work at all. I imported the Cubase expressions maps for GPO and they  don't work either. The actual keyswitches on my keyboard are working perfectly.  Any idea what I' may be doing wrong??  In the example below I set up the keyswitch to be F# 2  for the STANDARD patch not the notation patch.  Neither the standard nor the notation patch switches work.

Depending on how you’ve set your Base Octave for Pitches in Preferences, you might have to adjust for that in the MIDI Events > Key/CC#. Most likely you should increase each Key/CC # with two octaves if you are starting from a Cubase Expression Map.

44 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi Noel,

The company Babylon Waves do an all-in-one pack that is designed to cover any libraries purchased.

https://www.babylonwaves.com/expression-maps/

You're absolutely right - it's a lot of files and I certainly don't have all of those libraries.

The company provides them with a file hierarchy of "Company - Specific Product - Subgroup". I was going to import these in groups, but because you can't do multiple folders at a time it was taking awhile.

I therefore used an autohotkey script to remove the file hierarchy and hence tried to important all 11k of the files, and ran into the issue described.
I have now been successful in importing them all doing batches such as those with the letter A, B, etc etc.

I am now however experiencing slow performance navigating through the articulation editor - I guess a natural by-product of the large number of files loaded. Any performance improvements that could be made here would be great.

Ultimately f the importer could take into account all folders and files within a folder that would be the optimum way of bringing in all maps for libraries possessed and hence remove the need to bring in everything or spend ages grabbing the individual subfolders.

I did mention to the company that Cakewalk now supported maps and mentioned I could share the converted ones - so the developer may well appear here.

Best wishes,
Matthew

You imported all these maps into a single project? If so send the project file so we can investigate whats slowing it down.
This is our first cut so I'm sure there are some improvements to be made. We can also consider importing folders rather than individual groups of files.

• Thanks 1

Made my own map from scratch.  I did get the cubase ones to work with the correct standard patches but just for violins, not celli.  The Notation patches have all the key switches on the "0" octave

I tried making maps for  celli both the standard and notation patches - no joy. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You imported all these maps into a single project? If so send the project file so we can investigate whats slowing it down.
This is our first cut so I'm sure there are some improvements to be made. We can also consider importing folders rather than individual groups of files.

Hi Noel,

Apologies, to clarify I'm experiencing the performance issues if I load up the articulation map editor within a new project.

It hangs repeatedly and then a minute or so later it starts to work normally and i'm able to navigate and add maps as required. If I close and re-open then it will hang again for a period of time - I therefore assume it's trying to do some sort of pre-loading and struggling due to the number of maps, and then discards this once closed and has to rebuild.

Admitedly this is rare use case, although if it can be optimised that would be fantastic.

The ability to import folders would also be really useful to people who have a number of maps for different libraries.

Thanks again for your time and what is in general a great feature!

Best wishes,
Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

2 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

and mentioned I could share the converted ones -

I am totally for open source sharing of community created efforts but I am wonder what Babylonwaves' terms of usage say?  They have put a lot of hard work into a product they sell.  

I don't want Cakewalk to be seen as means to a possibly improper use of someone's licensed product.

Edited by Steve Harder
additional info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Harder said:

I am totally for open source sharing of community created efforts but I am wonder what Babylonwaves' terms of usage say?  They have put a lot of hard work into a product they sell.  

Hi Steve - yes to be clear I was talking about sharing them with him to enable him to sell them as another supported product.

Best wishes,
Matthew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

Depending on how you’ve set your Base Octave for Pitches in Preferences,

Sometimes to sort these issues out you have to dig down and find what midi note NUMBER your daw and each sample library THINKS middle C is.  Then you can fix the issue by making an adjustment in the midi track, or the base octave or in the sample library.  But there is a lot of variation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi Steve - yes to be clear I was talking about sharing them with him to enable him to sell them as another supported product.

Best wishes,
Matthew

And a big thumbs up if that happens. Cakewalk does get treated a bit shoddily sometimes. Undeservedly.

And it will happen that if someone asks about choosing which product to buy the would get the advice "Buy the BabylonWaves one, they have Cakewalk articulation maps."

Just now, Nigel Mackay said:

And a big thumbs up if that happens. Cakewalk does get treated a bit shoddily sometimes. Undeservedly.

And it will happen that if someone asks about choosing which product to buy the would get the advice "Buy the BabylonWaves one, they have Cakewalk articulation maps."

My thoughts exactly! Always keen for more software companies to feature Cakewalk support prominantly, especially in situations like this where it's in everyone's best interests to do so.

I've already gone through the process of importing them all into Cakewalk so easy enough for me to zip them all up again (although might take a little longer to put them back in the file structure) and then he can sell them as he chooses.

Apologies though - i realise this is a slight tangent :) but the key thing is that the articulation feature is great and it was a particularly good move to support importing the Cubase format. So it's a natural follow on to discuss what that might entail. Can happily move this a different thread though.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Cakewalk stores articulation maps in the C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Articulation MapsC:\Cakewalk\Core\Articulation directory

I created a new articulation map from scratch with a unique name. It shows up in Cakewalk after I restart the program but the .artmap file is nowhere to be seen.  (I searched the whole C drive)   WHERE IS IT??

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks. If you can reproduce it with one of the built in instruments even better. Just send me the project file and we'll look into it. 

when i load a new project with one instrument it work much better. but its still there. whe i load my template with 88 tracks and 4 effects. engine shows 26% maximum 

it crackles. all instruments are deactivate only one loaded. the joke is i change the driver to fl studio asio and record with obs the issue isnt there, but turned off obs and restart cakewalk again with fl studio driver it crackles like hell. when i playback the record nothing crackles. its a problem to make video with that issue. it is a riddle (hope thats the right word i´m german)

55 minutes ago, Sascha Denda said:

when i load a new project with one instrument it work much better. but its still there. whe i load my template with 88 tracks and 4 effects. engine shows 26% maximum 

it crackles. all instruments are deactivate only one loaded. the joke is i change the driver to fl studio asio and record with obs the issue isnt there, but turned off obs and restart cakewalk again with fl studio driver it crackles like hell. when i playback the record nothing crackles. its a problem to make video with that issue. it is a riddle (hope thats the right word i´m german)

Please pm me a link to the project template file.

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We decided to default "Display muted takes in parent track" to off. The reasoning was:

1. It adds a lot of clutter on the parent track when you have lots of take lanes with muted clips.
2. It can get a lot more expensive to draw when you have lots of take lanes even when they are closed (although after my optimizations its about 20x cheaper) 

I'm open to changing the default back but I'm curious why you would want to see muted takes on the main track. After all the main track should contain what you are hearing. If you want to edit the muted takes then you still can by opening the take lanes. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks Noel

So I'm writing instrumental cues for Music Libraries , maybe 2 or 3 tracks per week. Mostly midi ..the odd live part on occasion. Generally they end up in things like TV reality shows and such like. 

I don't actually use take lanes, I tend to record one midi pass and if it's wrong I undo it and record it again until it's close enough to keep or tweak in the PRV.  I still have my projects set to the " Sound On Sound " recording option rather than comping.

The clips I am muting are usually the only take, so to have them disappear by default is a bit disconcerting. I want to know they are still there as I may unmute a bit later into the process or move them elsewhere.

When putting a track together there can be a lot of moving parts and the ability to quickly mute a clip but still have it visible is important to my workflow.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DocBob said:

Untitled picture.png

Are you sure your base pitch is set correctly... in other words is F#2 actually the same F#2 in GPO (unfortunately there isn't a standard for the octave numbering).
This is why we also show the note number next to it.

FYI - you can chance the base pitch number in preferences:image.png.6c9a9c08fcc40fc8b9775f5458dbf26d.png

I'm not really liking the Articulation Lane interface.  It's really slow to work this way.  I wish they had implemented it in the Automation Lane interface the way Cubase has, where we can just click in a certain row and add the articulation.  This is too much [Double/Right]  Clicking.  It's really slow to work this way.

7 hours ago, DocBob said:

Cakewalk stores articulation maps in the C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Articulation MapsC:\Cakewalk\Core\Articulation directory

I created a new articulation map from scratch with a unique name. It shows up in Cakewalk after I restart the program but the .artmap file is nowhere to be seen.  (I searched the whole C drive)   WHERE IS IT??

Export the Articulation Map to a file.  That is the default save directory.